FC: Dick Armey's aide replies to Politech on photo radar, speeding

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 07:15:52 PDT

    "Replies to Dick Armey, speeding, and photo radar helping safety"

    From: "Diamond, Richard" <Richard.Diamondat_private>
    To: "'Declan McCullagh'" <declanat_private>, politechat_private
    Subject: RE: Replies to Dick Armey, speeding, and photo radar helping safety
    Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 10:13:05 -0400

    Replies follow, but first here's some new information of general interest.
    The IIHS report in question is located here:
    http://www.highwaysafety.org/srpdfs/sr3705.pdf

    Read it! You'll find many amazing things.  First, note that the camera crowd
    isn't satisfied with speed and red light cameras.  "Tailgating cameras" are
    being used in the Netherlands and Israel. What's next?

    Well, apparently local bureaucrats aren't satisfied with having pesky human
    beings review traffic citations.  That takes too long.  Their alternative is
    direct deposit out of your bank account into their coffers if you speed by.
    Found on Pg. 5:

    "Future of automation: Most current systems aren't fully automated.... The
    ticketing part of the process is done manually by reviewing the photographic
    evidence.  Fully automated systems may be in the future.  Digital cameras
    already exist that can recognize license plates, link to motor vehicle
    registration databases, and issues tickets. The speed enforcement system
    being tested in the Netherlands has this capability."

    The rate of mission creep for these cameras is phenomenal -- and that's
    precisely why we ought to resist them. Now for a few responses:

    Mr. Withers argued, essentially, that "slower is safer."  Every time I hear
    that phrase, I'm compelled to ask, slower than what?  If your goal is to
    eliminate all risk, then you might as well park your car and walk.  I cited
    several studies that say there is a consensus of research showing that there
    is an optimum traffic speed traffic for given conditions, and that driving
    substantially faster OR slower than that speed is less safe.

    I'll add that the accident numbers for 2001 came out last week.  Despite
    elimination of the 55 speed limit, the accident rate has still not
    increased.  I.e., slower is not necessarily safer.

    Mr. Walker takes issue with some of the factual claims made in our report.
    All I can say, without breaking out the slide rule, is that the new MUTCD
    says you can calculate the yellow time for an intersection based on the
    speed limit.  The old one says you must use the actual speed of traffic.
    That's a significant difference, and the reason for the change is politics,
    not engineering.  I recall that at least 8 out of 10 intersections in San
    Diego had significantly underposted limits. That led to short yellows in
    their calculations.

    As for the dilemma zone, call it what you will. Whatever term you choose to
    use, we described a real phenomenon.