FC: Petition asks European Parliament not to require Net-snooping

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon May 20 2002 - 07:20:40 PDT

    Previous Politech messages:

    "E.U. votes on May 15 to log Internet, phone traffic for police"
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-03496.html

    "Europe set to nix Bush request, not require ISP data retention"

    Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 08:01:00 +0200
    To: declanat_private
    From: Mikael Pawlo <mikaelat_private>
    Subject: GILC opposes EU anti-terrorist law

    Declan,

    http://stop1984.com/index2.php?text=letter.txt

    The Global Internet Liberty Campaign is going to send a letter to the
    European Parliament on May 22, opposing a proposed law to require phone
    companies and Internet service providers to store and keep traffic data for
    years in order to make it available to the authorities on request. 'Traffic
    data' means the records of who called whom, who sent email to whom and so
    forth. One may wonder if enough terrorists are stopped by this measure to
    justify the invasion of privacy. Further, it is a clear danger that
    dictarships would label the political opposition as terrorists.

    Regards

    Mikael

       ICQ:35638414                              mailto:mikaelat_private
       +46-704-215825                              http://www.pawlo.com/

    ---