FC: A snarky spat over lawyernastygrams and "thewarmcompany.com"

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 22:37:26 PDT

    Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 19:14:09 -0400
    From: studio <studioat_private>
    To: "J. Stephen Simms" <jssimmsat_private>
    Cc: derekat_private, journalat_private, fridgelistat_private,
             declanat_private, askat_private, chrisat_private
    Subject: Re: Demand to Cease Use of "thewarmcompany.com"

    J. Stephen Simms:

    We have received your email message from friday 17th May, 2002.

    Given the demanding nature of what it contains, and the insecurity
    of electronic mail we would ask that your request be submitted
    through a channel which gives us at least some ability to verify your
    identity. We would be happy to continue this dialogue over any such
    medium. You can send conventional mail to our head office, the address
    of which is included in the footer of this message. We are happy to
    communicate with you using email if you could PGP sign any such
    correspondence and make arrangements to confirm your PGP footprint over
    some other channel. We feel sure you can understand how foolish it would
    be of us to take action or enter into a discourse of this type over
    an insecure and easily spoofable medium.

    We can reassure you that after receiving and verifying your notice over
    a more secure forum we would be happy to co-operate with you to the
    extent we are able. However we would like to suggest that a lead-time
    of two business days is insufficient given the nature of your
    accusations. We would like to ask, as a courtesy, that you give us
    four working days from the time of such confirmation. This will allow
    us to consult with legal experts, the Internet community at large, and people
    within the appropriate fields. It would not be diligent or sensible
    of us - as I'm sure your client would agree - to act without being
    fully aware of the facts behind what you allege and seeking best advice.
    It also gives us a realistic timeframe, if persuaded of the merits of your
    argument, to close down and arrange effective transfer of the domain, or
    to instigate proper procedure under the ICANN Uniform Domain Name Dispute
    Resolution Policy.

    We hope you will agree with us that this is reasonable. If not, we are
    open to discussing with you a solution more acceptable.

    As an entirely seperate point; As experts on Internet and Web technology
    and design we would be happy to extend your client (and yourselves) a
    courtesy we occasionally offer when we consider it would be useful; a free
    consultation, if they need a professionally designed and constructed
    website.

    Finally; We would politely point out that sending mail to every publically
    available email address at a domain shows either an absence of understanding,
    or lack of respect, for Internet etiquette. With the greatest respect
    we ask that in future you be a little more selective in your choice of
    recipient. Our standard site policy in situations where we feel our
    email infrastructure is being abused is to offer an explanation, with
    our mail server software set to automatically reject email from the offending
    domain after any further mass mailings, in order to prevent further abuse.

    As you clearly consider your communication with us to be important,
    and we would like to be as accommodating as possible, we would urge
    you to direct any future email communications with us to a single point
    of contact. 'studioat_private' would be a sensible option.

    We look forward to hearing from you soon by conventional mail, or
    cryptographically signed email, and will do everything within our
    power to assist you with your query.

    Sincerely,

    chris raettig
    +
    derek michael

     > Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 17:57:42 -0400
     > From: "J. Stephen Simms" <jssimmsat_private>
     > To: <accountsat_private>, <chrisat_private>,
     >    <derekat_private>, <pressat_private>,
     >    <studioat_private>, <supportat_private>
     > Cc: "Jennifer Lantz" <jalantzat_private>,
     >    "W. Charles Bailey, Jr." <wcbaileyat_private>
     > Subject: Demand to Cease Use of "thewarmcompany.com"
     >
     > ** High Priority **
     > ** Reply Requested by 5/21/2002 (Tuesday) **
     >
     > Gentlemen:
     >
     > We are lawyers instructed by The Warm Company, Seattle, Washington
    (http://www.warmcompany.com).

     > The Warm Company is the owner of the trademark for The Warm Company.
     >
     > We have noted your recently-registered domain name, "thewarmcompany.com"
    This domain name, as well as the name that you recently have chosen for
    your company, violates The Warm Company's trademark rights.  The
    registration of the domain name further violates both US and UK
    anti-cyber-squatting laws.

     > The Warm Company demands that you immediately cease use of
    "thewarmcompany.com" domain name, and de-link any web presence, including
    email and your web site, from that domain.  The Warm Company further
    demands that you cease use of the name "The Warm Company."

     > So that The Warm Company does not have to consider further action,
    please confirm by return, not later than 21 May, 2002, that you have
    ceased use of the domain name "thewarmcompany.com"

    --
    studioat_private
    http://www.thewarmcompany.com

    t: +44 (0)207 286 2659
    f: +44 (0)8700 517 153
    m: +44 (0)7976 908 538

    warmstudio 54 blechynden street, london w10 6rj, united kingdom