FC: Daniel Pearl video back online after FBI legal threats

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue May 28 2002 - 12:34:22 PDT

       Besieged ISP Restores Pearl Vid
       By Declan McCullagh

       11:50 a.m. May 28, 2002 PDT
       WASHINGTON -- The unedited video of journalist Daniel Pearl being
       murdered is back online.

       An Internet hosting company in Virginia, which the FBI threatened last
       week with federal obscenity charges, said on Monday afternoon that it
       would resume distribution of the horrific 4-minute video.

       Pro Hosters owner Ted Hickman said he and his customer, ogrish.com,
       decided to thumb their nose at the bureau's warnings for two reasons:
       A realization that the FBI's threats were spurious, and the legal aid
       of the American Civil Liberties Union.

       "We have decided to take the hot seat in this position, mainly because
       we and ogrish.com believe strongly in freedom of speech and freedom of
       press and the First Amendment," Hickman said. "It's definitely
       something that I think people should be able to view if they choose
       to."

       Last week, FBI agents from the Newark field office contacted a number
       of hosting companies, including Pro Hosters. After consulting with his
       customer -- ogrish.com owner Dany Klinker, who lives in the
       Netherlands -- Hickman deleted the video showing the 38-year-old Wall
       Street Journal reporter being slain in Pakistan by a radical Muslim
       group.

       [...]