FC: North Dakota voters approve "opt-in" for financial information

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 19:39:57 PDT

    [Naturally everyone should be entitled as a matter of right and logic to
    take steps to protect their privacy. The debate in North Dakota is about
    what regulations aimed at businesses are necessary and appropriate. Unlike
    government agencies, businesses do not have a monopoly; at the very least,
    it means we should be more wary of regulations. It also means we should
    weigh the total costs of the regulations against their benefits, consider
    whether this is a good precedent to set, and so on. I remain suspicious
    about broad "we must protect privacy at all costs claims." I can imagine
    voters approving a bill virtually muzzling credit reporting firms, for
    instance, on privacy grounds -- and then complaining bitterly when the
    unintended consequence is to deny Americans credit cards and home
    mortgages. See also:
    http://www.state.nd.us/sec/pdf/referredmeasureno2ballotlang2002.pdf --Declan]

    ---