FC: K. Auerbach, M. Geist reply to ICANN attorney's Politech post

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 10:38:02 PDT

    Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 11:43:21 -0700 (PDT)
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    Subject: Re: FC: ICANN attorney replies to Politech post on "self-regulation's
       end"

    On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Declan McCullagh wrote:

     > Previous Politech message:
     >
     > "Michael Geist on ICANN, Congress, end of 'self-regulation'"
     > http://www.politechbot.com/p-03653.html
     >
     > Joe Sims is ICANN's chief outside counsel.

    I have heard that Sims has publicly called me an "idiot".  So take the
    following as the blitherings of a fool:

    Sims likes to issue ex-cathedra bulls about how ICANN started and what
    ICANN is.  I wonder whether ICANN paid for this one, and if so, how much?

    Sims' neo-papal-bulls are, however, merely works of fiction.  One can't
    call them historical fiction because the links with reality are far too
    tenuous.

    I've been collecting Sims statements for years, and because I'm on the
    Board of Directors of ICANN I have had the opportunity to see how he
    purveys his ever-shifted message to those who could discharge him from his
    job.  I am reminded less of Othello and more of Iago - with the Internet
    taking the role of Desdemona.

    ICANN was the creation of a septic conception.  ICANN was constructed in
    secrecy. Favored groups, euphemistically and inaccurately called
    "stakeholders", were selected.  Secret deals were made.  Comments from the
    public were allowed - but they remained merely comments and they were
    completely ignored - setting the precedent for the
    submit-into-the-dumpster kind of public "forum" process that remains
    standard practice in the ICANN of today.

    How do I know this?  Jon Postel asked Sims to speak to me.  When Sims
    finally did, he informed me that virtually every important decision had
    been made and that changes were impossible because it would require too
    many changes to the deals that had already been made.  What those deals
    were, and with whom, and with what quid-pro-quos, is something that has
    never been revealed, although a few outlines have been seen.

    ICANN loves to wave the word "consensus" - but it is consensus among a
    chosen few.  The ICANN of today routinely ignores even those "consensus"
    mechanisms that it does have - look at how ICANN ignored the
    recommendations of its DNSO regarding .org.

    And all this noise about elections being so difficult: ICANN's
    protestations are simply a translucent excuse to avoid having the public
    elect board members.  ICANN loves to point at this or that report that
    casts doubt on certain types of purely electronic voter registration and
    election systems.  Yet many of us vote in electronic shareholder elections
    all the time - the technology is inexpensive and proven.

    Imagine if the US had reacted to the troubles with its last presidential
    elections in the way that ICANN has:  The US would have abolished
    congressional and senatorial elections and replaced them with a system in
    which the Congress and Senate would have been filled by people chosen by
    the President's cabinet.

    And all this noise about governments representing their citizens - yes,
    governments do.  Governments also represent the businesses and
    intellectual property owners within their borders.  Thus if one accepts
    the belief that one can dispense with public voting in ICANN, then one
    must equally accept the belief that one can dispense with business and
    intellectual property owner voting in ICANN.

    Sims, as usual, waives the blody flag of "stable operation" of the
    Internet.

    Few have bothered to define "stable operation" of the Internet.

    I define it as packets quickly and reliably moving from IP address to IP
    address and as DNS names resolving quickly and accurately.

    Under that definition there is precious little that ICANN has done over
    its lifetime has had anything to do with "stable operation" of the
    Internet.

    Instead ICANN has spent virtually all of its time and energy creating
    things that have nothing to do with technical stability of the internet -
    things like a new international law of trademark (the UDRP), things like
    the grant of .com to Verisign in perpetuity (you get one guess who brewed
    up that that little gem) and with highly intrusive and regulatory regimes
    that condition the grant of new top level domains.

    Even ICANN's "big names" committees - like that of security - have done
    nothing.  (In the meantime, ICANN repeatedly rejects practical and
    potentially extremely valuable approaches.)

    There is some validity to the argument that ICANN has a responsibility to
    protect those who were locked into the pre-existing top level domains,
    such as .com, .net, and .org.  And that justifies ICANN's things like
    ICANN's forthcoming decision on a new operator of .org.  But the new TLDs
    have no pre-exisiting customers who need to be protected.  The people
    buying names there have full freedom of choice.  And there has been no
    public debate, and certainly no public "consensus", on whether ICANN
    should be a consumer protection body.  It would be ironic, given ICANN's
    repudiation of the internet community's role within ICANN, for ICANN to
    consider itself a consumer protection body.

                     --karl--

    ---