FC: Illinois student detained for "nat'l security," secret evidence

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 07:48:53 PDT

    From: "James Bond" <s007at_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: UIUC Student detained by INS as "National Security Threat"
    Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 03:17:13 +0000

    If you feel like forwarding this to the list, go ahead.  It just amazed me
    how close to home this has finally struck.  I'm a student at the University
    of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and I heard about this the day before the
    article came out because my roommate is the head of the pro-Israel
    organization on campus and he couldn't stop gloating.

    http://www.dailyillini.com/jun02/jun17/news/stories/news_story01.shtml

    Now, of course this kid did some stupid things like staying in the US on an
    expired visa.  However, his arrest is solely a product of the current
    political climate and had this happened a year ago I doubt anything would
    have happened.  I don't believe it was wrong of the INS to detain him, but
    had he not voiced his opinions as actively as he did he probably would not
    have been detained.

    In the end, we should all be careful about what we say because the
    government is already waiting for the slightest slip-up to nab those who
    are against its agenda.