FC: E-voting paper analyzes "usability" problems of current systems

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 07:51:17 PDT

    Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 04:00:00 -0400 (EDT)
    To: <declanat_private>
    From: "Vincent J. Lipsio" <VJLat_private>
    Subject: Foe of Electronic Voting on July 11 in Orlando

    At the suggestion of a regular subscriber to Politech to
    whom I had sent the below message, I'm forwarding to you.

    Vince Lipsio

    Forwarded below is an email from Dr. Rebecca Mercuri whose
    PhD dissertation contained a proof that an electronic voting
    system can be either secure (tamper proof) or anonymous
    (as in secret ballot), but NOT BOTH, "The requirement for
    ballot privacy creates an unresolvable conflict with the
    use of audit trails in providing security assurance".

    She is a brilliant woman and I'd urge anyone concerned with
    what she calls "scalabe ballot fraud" to attend her presentation
    if feasable, but at to visit her website:
    http://www.notablesoftware.com/evote.html

    "I am adamantly opposed to the use of fully electronic or
    Internet-based systems for use in anonymous balloting and
    vote tabulation applications.  The reasons for my opposition
    are manyfold, and are expressed in my writings as well as
    those of other well-respected computer security experts.
    At the present time, it is my strong recommendation that
    all election officials REFRAIN from procuring ANY system
    that does not provide an indisputable paper ballot. A
    detailed explanation, along with my recommendation for
    appropriately configured voting equipment, is provided in
    the full text of this statement, available [on the website]."

    Also, she is a Democrat and a committeewoman (in New Jersey).
    In 2000, upon request of the Democratic Recount Committee,
    she provided a sworn affidavit regarding the necessity of a
    hand recount in the disputed Florida precincts.

    Type to you later,
    Vince