FC: Mirror of Paul Trummel's embattled website is available

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 10:29:55 PDT

    [If any other Politech members have set up mirrors, I will dutifully
    forward, though it may have to wait until I get back from Moscow. --Declan]

    ---

    Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 10:10:39 -0400
    From: Vicki Richman <vicricat_private>
    To: politechat_private
    Subject: Paul Trummel

    Paul Trummel has been released from prison.

    But.

    He must return to court on Friday, June 21, 2002, to show
    cause that he may remain free.

    The Seattle county court's decision is fascinating reading.
    I don't necessarily agree with the judge, Jim Doerty, but he
    is very convincing. He only touches on the distinction
    between a freelancer and a working reporter for an
    established paper.  Citing Justice Potter Stewart in 1974,
    Doerty says that the First Amendment may indeed make that
    distinction, by using the term "the press" in addition to
    "speech."

    However, Doerty then rules that any such distinction, if it
    exists, is irrelevant. If Paul had been a bureau chief for
    the NY Times, he would still be in jail for what he is
    alleged to have done. That is not true. Paul was in jail for
    publishing personal data on his perceived foes. The Times
    published both Al Sharpton's and my home addresses (well,
    forty years apart) with impunity.

    What about credit-reporting agencies? Why aren't they in
    jail? Is that because they limit access to fee-payers, while
    Paul gave access to all?

    A New York tenants' union recently picketed a landlord's
    private home, a greater invasion than a list of home
    addresses on an obscure Web page. Protecting the picketers,
    the police ignored the landlord's protests.

    Anyway, here is the decision:

    http://www.metrokc.gov/kcsc/rulings/trummel_v_mitchell.htm

    Here is the URL that is largely responsible for Paul's
    imprisonment:

    http://contracabal.org/801-09.htm

    It was still up at the time I sent this message.

    I have mirrored that page on my site, as a protest against
    Paul's imprisonment, but I have disabled it while Paul is
    free. If Paul returns to jail, you may view my mirror at:

    http://vicric.com/trummel/

    Solidarity,
    --
    Vicki Richman