FC: Alert! President Bush declares national emergency

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 26 2002 - 09:57:35 PDT

    On the House floor yesterday:

    >5:42 P.M. -
    >The Speaker laid before the House a message from the President
    >transmitting a 6-month report on the national emergency to deal with the
    >threat to the national security, foreign policy, and economy of the United
    >States caused by the lapse of the Export Administration Act of 1979 -
    >referred to the Committee on International Relations and ordered to be
    >printed (H. Doc. 107-235).

    This is of course a recurring event, which every president does with a
    metronome's regularity. It allows current export regulations (think crypto)
    to remain in place.

    Here's a previous Politech message from 1998 in which Clinton did the same
    thing (before my web-accessible archives begin, so the link is to Dave
    Farber's list):
    http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/199808/msg00023.html

    See also a quote from the Church report: