FC: NYC Time Warner Cable sending nastygrams to free 802.11 points?

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 26 2002 - 12:24:52 PDT

    From: "rick tait" <ricktat_private>
    To: <politechat_private>
    Cc: <pressat_private>, <infoat_private>
    Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 14:22:31 -0400

    Declan,

    I've not seen anything on Politech regarding this specific issue before, but
    my roommate just called me and let me know that Time Warner Cable of NYC has
    just sent me a snotty letter basically telling me to shut off my public
    access point immediately - PERIOD - as its not allowed according to the
    contract I signed to get their cable service.

    I don't have the letter in front of me, but if you're interested, I can get
    it to you this evening.

    I plan on calling/writing to TWCNYC and asking them if they consider an
    access-protected 802.11 network is still an infringement of their contract,
    meaning if I only allow MYSELF access, and no-one else. Is the fact that its
    just "there" (admittedly unusable by anyone without the access key) an
    exception to the contract?

    Now I have to shield my apartment in lead because I can't "advertise" my own
    private 802.11 network because the backend of the network is TWCNYC's?

    I don't like where this is going.

    RMT.