FC: Washington's focus on Homeland Defense moves to technology

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 06:58:04 PDT

    http://news.com.com/2100-1023-942686.html

       Homeland defense focus shifts to tech
       By Declan McCullagh

       July 10, 2002, 4:00 AM PT
       WASHINGTON--Computer security is becoming an increasingly critical
       part of President Bush's proposal for a homeland defense agency.

       When Bush suggested the idea last month, he predicted that the future
       agency would aid in investigating Al Qaeda and thwarting disasters
       similar to those of last Sept. 11. In the televised address, he never
       mentioned the Internet or so-called cybersecurity.

       But as Capitol Hill scrutinizes the proposal, politicians are fretting
       about tech-savvy terrorists--and insisting any new agency must shield
       the United States from electronic attacks as well.

       "If we don't make sure the Homeland Security department is prepared in
       this area of cybersecurity, we have failed in our duty," House Energy
       and Commerce Chairman Billy Tauzin, R-La., said Tuesday.

       At Bush's urging, House Republicans have asked committees for any
       suggested changes to the White House-backed bill by the end of the
       week, and at least four committee votes are scheduled for Wednesday.

       [...]