FC: A defense of David Scott Anderson and resume spamming

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 09:15:56 PDT

    "David Scott Anderson: An unapologetic resume spammer, and a twist"

    Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 23:37:49 -0400
    From: [named deleted per request]
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: anderson

    i found this to be very interesting. i also try to do some placement among
    other tech work and receive tons of resumes via email. i do subscribe to a
    few services for this purpose, yet i receive others from places i have not
    subscribed where it appears the resume was sent by the applicant. i will
    also add people are getting desperate for jobs. most need the money badly.
    other need the resulting self-esteem. or socialization. whatever the
    reason, people need a job. too many are out of work. i get resumes with the
    subject 'will code for food'. we are in bad shape as a whole.

    personally, i would not have reported him as a spammer, but deleted the
    mail. he is just trying to find a job. many, myself included use free addys
    as a privacy and protection measure. otoh, he over reacted to your
    reporting him as a spammer. i noticed on his resume was customer service.
    that behavior does not indicate customer service.

    these days tempers and patience are very short. i think in direct
    proportion to the outside temp and humidity and the revelations of
    companies such as wcom. everyone i think has some feelings of loss of
    control, and is trying to find it anyplace possible.

    we all need to take a step back before we react to anything in a negative
    manner. nerves are too frayed.

    if you are going to get bent out of shape over a resume being emailed, i'd
    rather see you spend that time trying to educate people to use anti-virus
    and not to use outlook so we can finally get rid of klez which is really
    screwing up mail, servers, workstations, communications etc. how many
    billions has this cost? then we can tackle the real spammers.

    i have reacted in a similar manner as you at times. i do try hard to be
    careful. it is getting tougher though.

    i know you only report news and similar, but i think the real story behind
    this resume, and others emailed by applicants or services is why people of
    this caliber and better, are reduced to doing this sort of thing. why is it
    so tough to find any job? what are the real unemployment numbers? people no
    longer collecting benefits are no longer counted, yet they are just as
    unemployed. why are the ken lays etc making so much money? and not using
    some of that to hire others? the distribution of wealth is shifting rapidly
    eliminating more of the middle class. that to me is the story.

    if it's just who reported who to where you might just as well get out the
    tape measures and save a lot of trouble.

    just my $.02. enough of the rant.