FC: On CSPAN right now: James Traficant testifying in his own defense

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 09:05:29 PDT

    Rep. James Traficant (D-Ohio) is making a blustery but at-times eloquent
    case for his own innocence and abuse of power by the FBI and IRS. Traficant
    sees a conspiracy against him. He faces expulsion from the House after a
    conviction in Ohio. He is asking for permission to have witnesses testify
    on his behalf. He says some of his witnesses have been threatened by the
    executive branch if they testify.

    Quotes from hearing:
    "you've allowed the executive branch to become so powerful that people fear
    their government.
    "the american public in a free republic should not fear the government. but
    they do.
    "The fbi and the mob in youngstown has been together for years. they own them
    "janet reno is a traitor. she betrayed america by not investigating the
    money that was received (by a red chinese general)
    "I'm a member (of the House) too, and I'll be damned if I'm treated like a
    dog (by having no witnesses testify)
    "if they put me in jail in ohio, i just may be the first american to hold a
    congressional seat while incarcarated
    "if a member of the congress can't come to the congress, where do the
    american people go?

    Background on hearing:
    http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/07/15/traficant.ethics.ap/index.html
    http://www.business-journal.com/Traficantindex.html