FC: Photos from geektivists disrupting Commerce Dept. roundtable

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 19:14:50 PDT

    Photos are here:
    http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/commerce-drm-rountable-july02.html

    This one of Richard Stallman turned out well:
    http://www.mccullagh.org/image/d30-23/richard-stallman-and-flag.html

    More on roundtable:
    http://www.ta.doc.gov/PRel/ma020710.htm

    ---

    http://news.com.com/2100-1023-944668.html?tag=politech

       Tech activists protest anti-copying
       By Declan McCullagh

       July 17, 2002, 5:55 PM PT
       WASHINGTON--Enthusiasts of free software disrupted a Commerce
       Department meeting Wednesday, insisting on their right to debate the
       entertainment industry over anti-copying technologies.

       About a dozen vocal tech activists in the audience challenged
       speakers, including Jack Valenti, head of the Motion Picture
       Association of America (MPAA), who equated piracy with theft and
       applauded digital rights management.

       "I'm going to accord you the utmost respect," Valenti said. "I'm going
       to listen to you, but let me finish...The first thing we ought to
       exhibit is good manners."

       The activists, mostly from New Yorkers for Fair Use, interrupted
       Valenti with hoots and jeers from the back of the room until the
       former presidential aide offered them the chance to reply.

       [...]