FC: Orin Kerr defends USA Patriot Act: "The Big Brother That Isn't"

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 23:18:24 PDT

    [Orin is a former Justice Department prosecutor who worked in the computer
    crime section. Now he's at George Washington University. --Declan]

    From: "Orin Kerr" <okerrat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 18:40:46 -0500
    Subject: Patriot Act article, cybercrime list

    Declan,

    Here are two items politechbot readers may want
    to know about.

    First, a draft copy of my forthcoming law review
    article on the USA Patriot Act has been posted at
    http://ssrn.com/abstract_id=317501 .   The article
    is called "Internet Surveillance Law After the USA
    Patriot Act: The Big Brother That Isn't", and
    explains why I think the Patriot Act is not the
    Orwellian law some have suggested.  An edited
    version of the article will appear in the
    Northwestern University Law Review in early
    2003.   (To download the full article, scroll down
    and click on the "click here to download
    document" button.)

    Second, I'm opening up my cybercrime case
    update list to the public.  Whenever a new
    computer crime case is decided, I write an email
    to listmembers explaining the case and (usually)
    offering some commentary.  I've been doing this
    for a few months now, and the current
    listmembers are mostly law professors and
    prosecutors.  Politechbot members are welcome
    to join as well.  To join the list, or to view the
    archives, visit
    hermes.circ.gwu.edu/archives/cybercrime.html

    Regards,
    Orin

    Orin S. Kerr
    Associate Professor