FC: FBI bumbling ruins chance for terrorist "cyber-sting"

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 06:12:01 PDT

    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2002-07-30-al-qaeda-online_x.htm

        Man hijacks al-Qaeda site for FBI use

        WASHINGTON (AP) -- When Web operator Jon Messner gained control of one
        of al-Qaeda's prime Internet communication sites, he offered it to the
        FBI to use it for disinformation and collecting data about
        sympathizers.

        What followed, he says, was a week of frustration.

        FBI agents struggled to find someone with enough technical know-how to
        set up the sting. By the time they did, the opportunity was lost as
        militant Islamic Web users figured out the site was a decoy, said
        Messner of Ocean City, Md.

        "It was like dealing with the motor vehicle administration," said
        Messner, who runs Web sites, many of which sell pornographic
        materials. "We could have done something that could have seriously
        impacted things. It took me so many days just to get somebody who
        understood the Internet."

        [...]