FC: Politech readers reply to Chuck Sims on DMCA and "fair use" rights

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 21:31:51 PDT

    Chuck Sims may have represented the MPAA members in the DeCSS litigation,
    but I should point out that Chuck has distinguished First Amendment
    credentials.  For instance, he volunteered his time to help the ACLU with
    its successful lawsuit challenging library filtering:
    http://www.eff.org/Cases/ALA_v_US/20010320_aclu_chipa_suit_pr.html

    Chuck also represented the Washington Post when it was sued by Scientology
    for the heinous offense of quoting 46 words of ostensibly secret scriptures:
    http://www.eff.org/IP/IP_SLAPP/Scientology_cases/rtc_v_lerma_091595_hearing.transcript

    In 1993, Chuck represented the ACLU when filing suit to overturn
    "indecency" censorship of certain cable channels by the FCC:
    http://www.skepticfiles.org/aclu/02_22_93.htm

    Now, this does not mean I think Chuck's statement is entirely fair. It
    seems to me that (a) the DMCA may not limit your fair use rights if you
    enjoy unfettered access to the work but (b) the DMCA is designed to limit
    the occasions where you will enjoy unfettered access.

    I thank Chuck for responding publicly. If he wants the option of a
    sur-reply, I'd be happy to forward a response.