FC: Brad Templeton on terror probes, and grocery discount cards

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 21:43:22 PDT

    Related Politech message:

    "Fed up with those supermarket discount cards? Make your own"

    Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:54:43 -0700
    From: Brad Templeton <bradat_private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    Subject: Re: FC: Your grocery list may bring a terror probe, from the
    Village Voice

    While I suspect many of your readers will be aware of the concept, some
    may not so let me remind them, when they go to parties or meet other
    people who are concerned about privacy, to simply trade their grocery
    affinity cards.

    My first card was in the name of Mickey Mouse of Anaheim, and you might
    find that to be protection enough -- the Safeway staff would always say
    "thank you Mr. Mouse."   When I traded it, I told the receipient to
    always trade with somebody who lives east of him.  I presume my card has
    made it to the east coast by now.

    At parties, have everybody put their cards in a bowl and draw another one
    at the end.

    The cards do save a lot of money, so it's a serious cost to avoid them,
    but with these techniques you can protect your privacy and not spend
    the cash.

    Yes, you will lose out on any special offers they send to your home address,
    like the free turkey they send out each thanksgiving (usually not more than
    a $10 value.)  But it confuses the database no end, and creates serious
    doubt about the validity of the records.