FC: Sen. Mike DeWine hopes to make it easier to spy on immigrants

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 07:35:52 PDT

    DeWine's statement:
    http://dewine.senate.gov/pressapp/record.cfm?id=183966

    Text of bills:
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d107:s.02659:
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d107:s.02586:

    http://news.com.com/2010-1071-948283.html?tag=politech

       Is privacy the next casualty?
       By Declan McCullagh
       August 5, 2002, 4:00 AM PT

       WASHINGTON--Sen. Mike DeWine is crusading to hand the FBI new powers
       to eavesdrop on immigrants and other non-citizens living in America.

       The Ohio Republican, a former county prosecutor, is proposing that
       police need only have a "suspicion" that someone has links to
       terrorism before being able to spy on that person or snoop through
       their home.

       DeWine's bill does not authorize the Feds to target American citizens
       or green card holders. But it does mean that the mere "suspicion" of
       illicit activities would be enough to wiretap the phones and bug the
       e-mail communications of millions of tourists or legal immigrants who
       hold H-1B, B-2, TN-1, or student visas.

       "We must give our intelligence community the tools they need to
       closely monitor non-United States persons who want to harm Americans,"
       DeWine claims. "I believe these changes are necessary for our
       government to protect Americans."

       What DeWine's proposal seeks to do is unleash the full power of the
       mighty Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) against
       immigrants, tourists, and visitors to the United States who are
       suspects in terrorism investigations. Currently it's difficult for
       federal police to use FISA against non-Americans; DeWine's bill, and a
       related bill introduced by Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., would make it
       far easier.

       [...]