FC: Paul Weyrich says conservatives don't want to ditch Ashcroft

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 21:30:56 PDT

    I know Paul Weyrich to be an honest, straightforward person and I take him
    at his word: "Speaking for myself, right now I do not want to be part of
    any campaign to dump the attorney general." I'm not sure how other
    prominent conservatives feel, though, and it makes sense that over time,
    the limited-government types will become increasingly critical of more
    federal police powers. (Just imagine how many Republicans would be yowling
    if the recent accumulation of power and new laws had been orchestrated by
    Janet Reno...)

    Here's the NYT article that Paul is talking about:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/24/politics/24ASHC.html

    And the Weekly Standard article:
    http://www.weeklystandard.com/content/public/articles/000/000/001/495xlpwt.asp

    Rep. Senenbrenner's criticism of Ashcroft's recent FBI changes:

    Reservations Are Not a Call for Removal
    by Paul M. Weyrich

    A front-page story in the New York Times can generate significant political
    aftershocks. The recent Neil Lewis piece on Attorney General John Ashcroft
    is no exception. It is a perfect example of how there are often stories
    behind the story; that what appears in print is often only part of the
    story, if part of the story at all.

    The story asserted some on the so-called "religious right" are concerned
    about Mr. Ashcroft's policies, quoting several conservatives, including
    myself. It is clear to me that the bulk of the story came from leaks that
    occurred at the White House. The complaints cited in the article have
    little if anything to do with our concerns. Instead, it has all the
    earmarks of a campaign to dump the attorney general.

    It is true that I have some significant reservations about Mr. Ashcroft's
    policies, but in no way do I want to be connected with a campaign to dump him.

    The New York Times reporter never asked me about the supposed unhappiness
    with the attorney general. His story read as if he had been working on
    several stories and strung them together.

    The Weekly Standard, a weekly magazine of news and opinion , then took it
    upon itself to publish a piece suggesting the only conservatives concerned
    about Mr. Ashcroft were Grover Norquist, the conservative activist who
    heads Americans for Tax Reform, and myself. Then, the author of the piece
    went on to claim I could not be a spokesman for religious conservatives.

    Perhaps this opinion rises out of my having made a sharp rebuke of Weekly
    Standard Editor Bill Kristol's assertion that President George W. Bush was
    engaging in appeasement when one of our planes went down over China.

    Or perhaps it comes from my desire - and that of the Free Congress
    Foundation, of which I am president - to raise questions about the war on
    drugs at a congressional hearing where the nomination of John Walters to
    become the nation's drug czar was being considered. Some, including writers
    at that magazine, seem to view the fact of asking questions about the war
    on drugs as equivalent to all-out opposition to it. It never was, but the
    Weekly Standard has apparently held this grudge against the Free Congress
    Foundation and myself ever since.

    The fact is that the concern about Mr. Ashcroft's policies extends beyond
    just Grover Norquist and Paul Weyrich.

    Recently, I composed a letter to Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner, the chairman of
    the House Judiciary Committee. The letter congratulated him for his
    legislative oversight over the proposed new FBI guidelines on the domestic
    front.

    Mr. Sensenbrenner had been upset that the attorney general and FBI Director
    Robert Mueller had issued these guidelines without prior consultation with
    the Congress.

    He expressed the same concerns that the Free Congress Foundation had voiced
    about the new policies and, when I broached the topic at the Wednesday
    policy lunch I chair, the representative of more than 30 membership
    organizations were willing to sign on. One of those signers was a
    representative of the Family Research Council, now Exhibit A in the Weekly
    Standard's case that the criticism of Mr. Ashcroft is limited to myself and
    Mr. Norquist, not other religious conservatives. (See
    freecongress.org/media/020620bltr.asp on the worldwide web for a copy of
    the letter.)

    Since the New York Times article appeared, another group has weighed in
    with its concerns. Pat Trueman of the American Family Association says his
    group has problems with the attorney general because there have been very
    few prosecutions of child pornography cases.

    When I told the New York Times that conservative organizations have very
    serious concerns about the attorney general, it was based on that letter.
    If it were my opinion alone, I never would have represented it as having
    been held by others. The Standard's writer never had the decency or even
    just the simple commitment to getting the story right to call me on the
    phone to ask if I had been just spouting my opinion or something more
    substantial lay behind what I had said. Mr. Norquist told me the Standard's
    writer never called him either.

    What in the long-run is likely to prove to be a minor flap is very
    instructive in how journalism in Washington is changing. Rather than
    demonstrate a commitment to getting the facts straight first, writers
    simply write opinions as if they are facts. That the Standard is an opinion
    journal does not absolve it of the responsibility to make sure its opinions
    are backed up by an accurate portrayal of the underlying facts.

    As for Mr. Ashcroft, the New York Times story, noting the discontent with
    his policies among the party's conservative base, appeared to have
    information based on leaks from the White House. Much of the story had
    nothing to do with our real concerns in how the long-term impact of the
    actions he has taken are likely to lead to an erosion of our civil
    liberties; rather it read like several stories crammed into one.

    Let me make clear to the public and any journalists who want to do
    follow-up stories to the New York Times story: Speaking for myself, right
    now I do not want to be part of any campaign to dump the attorney general.

    My concern is not what Mr. Ashcroft and President Bush will do with the new
    powers granted the government to conduct the war on terrorism. It is what a
    future attorney general like Hillary Clinton could easily do with those
    powers. This is not a trivial matter and it is a view widely shared by
    social conservatives. The reporting about our discontent whether by the New
    York Times or the Weekly Standard ought to reflect that.

    Paul M. Weyrich is president of the Free Congress Foundation, a research
    and education foundation.