FC: Rep. Howard Coble defends peer-to-peer hacking bill

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 23:21:08 PDT

    The column that drew Coble's reply (Coble co-sponsored the P2P hacking bill
    with Rep. Berman):
    http://www.news-record.com/news/columnists/staff/cone0825.htm

    From: someoneat_private
    To: "'declanat_private'" <declanat_private>
    Subject: Coble defends Berman's p2p hacking bill
    Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 17:34:19 -0400

    Hi Declan,

    After all the discussion on Rep. Howard Berman's p2p bill, I thought you
    and the rest of the Politech denizens would be interested to see what Rep.
    Howard Coble had to say about it.  You can find his thoughts on the
    Greensboro (NC) News and Record website
    here:  http://www.news-record.com/news/columnists/staff/coble24.htm.  I've
    also pasted it below.

    If you post this, please don't post my email address.

    Regards,
    [deleted]

    ------------------------

    Columns
    Digital piracy bill is sound
    8-24-02
    By HOWARD COBLE
    News & Record
    The English poet Samuel Butler once said that he did not mind lying, but he
    hated inaccuracy. After reviewing Ed Cone's column ("Coble wrong about
    Hollywood hackers") and your editorial ("Coble should retool Internet
    piracy bill"), I now understand what Butler meant.

    In fairness to Ed, he did not impugn my character -- in fact, he said some
    nice things about me -- particularly about my refusal to accept the
    congressional pension. In turn, I know that Ed is a decent and honest
    citizen who simply disagrees with his congressman over a matter of public
    policy. Fine by me, since free speech is the hallmark of representative
    democracy.

    But Samuel Butler and I must take issue with his interpretation of a bill
    (H.R. 5211) authored by a good friend and colleague, Howard Berman. Rep.
    Berman is the ranking Democrat on the subcommittee that I chair and which
    has jurisdiction over one of our nation's most precious but least
    understood assets -- intellectual property, including copyrights.

    Copyrights, patents and trademarks help to sustain our economy in a major
    way. The core copyright industries by themselves account for nearly $500
    billion of U.S. gross domestic product. Copyright-related employment over
    the past two decades has produced almost three times as many new jobs as
    the national average for other sectors. The incentive to create copyrights
    will quickly dissipate if they are not protected like other forms of property.

    Currently, the easiest way to steal the latest musical or cinematic
    offering is through peer-to-peer technology, which essentially allows
    computer users to swap music and movie files. Millions upon millions of
    illegal downloads occur each day at the expense of songwriters, authors,
    graphic artists, photographers and software developers in North Carolina
    and the rest of our nation. Digital music piracy by itself worldwide costs
    the affected copyright owners between $3 billion and $5 billion annually,
    and sadly, most of the illegal activity occurs in the United States.

    H.R. 5211 is an attempt to control this problem. The legislation is
    designed only to prevent thieves from illegally distributing copyrighted
    songs, movies and other digital works over the Internet to millions of
    computers. The legislation clarifies that copyright owners may utilize new
    technologies or "self-help" measures to protect their property as it is
    distributed on peer-to-peer networks. This is almost a dog-bites-man
    revelation because many intellectual property companies are already using
    some of these defensive measures now and believe it is legal under current
    law.

    Ed Cone thinks otherwise, but after examining his column, I can identify
    only two criticisms of the bill:
    The bill will compromise the "privacy rights" of individuals by allowing
    record companies and others to hack into the personal computers of those
    who have obtained music files from "popular" file-sharing services. H.R.
    5211 does not allow copyright owners to "hack" into the computers of
    private network users. It only allows a copyright owner to look at files
    that a peer-to-peer user makes publicly available to millions of other
    network users. Moreover, copyright owners can only disable the distribution
    of infringing files. A copyright owner is not permitted to alter the
    original file itself.

    Copyright owners will not be legally liable for "disabling, interfering
    with, diverting, or otherwise impairing files on private computers." The
    bill explicitly provides network users with legal redress against any
    copyright owner who acts beyond the scope of what is permitted by the
    legislation. This new cause of action supplements all other legal remedies
    currently available to persons who suffer harm.

    While H.R. 5211 in its current form may not be the perfect answer to a
    serious problem, it will stimulate discussions on finding effective ways to
    curb piracy. That is why our subcommittee will conduct a hearing on the
    issue of piracy on peer-to-peer networks in September. This does not mean
    that the bill will be voted on prior to adjournment this fall. It does mean
    that we are interested in exploring ways to combat digital theft of
    copyrighted works, including music and movies.

    On that, Ed Cone, the News & Record editorial board and I all agree. Where
    we part ways in the solution to the problem, but that's why this dialogue
    is healthy and should continue.

    U.S. Rep. Howard Coble represents North Carolina's Sixth District.