FC: William Safire: Bloomberg News cravenly deletes online article

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 28 2002 - 20:32:07 PDT

    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/29/opinion/29SAFI.html

    Bloomberg News Humbled
    By WILLIAM SAFIRE

    WASHINGTON — Let me see if I can write today's column without getting sued.
    It has to do with my old pal Lee Kuan Yew, who prefers to be called "senior
    minister" rather than dictator of Singapore, and whose family members have
    been doing exceedingly well lately.

    In kowtowing to the Lee family, the Bloomberg News Service — the feisty,
    aggressive newcomer to coverage of global finance on cable and computers —
    has just demeaned itself and undermined the cause of a free online press.

    Early this month, Patrick Smith, a Bloomberg columnist, dared to take note
    of the elevation of Ho Ching, the senior minister's daughter-in-law, to
    head Temesek, the powerful state-owned investment company. Her husband,
    Lee's son, is already deputy prime minister and finance minister, on a fast
    track to the top; Lee's other son is C.E.O. of Singapore Telecom. Lee
    himself, at 78, is chairman of the Government Investment Corporation.

    I have not read Smith's story because it has been expunged from the
    Bloomberg Web site, digitally erased from the mind of man. But evidently it
    annoyed some members of Lee's family, who are not known to lose huge libel
    suits that come before local judges.

    [...]