FC: Nat Hentoff: Time to call for John Ashcroft's resignation

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 10:21:29 PDT

    "Ashcroft's plan for detention camps for 'enemy' U.S. citizens"

    http://villagevoice.com/issues/0236/hentoff.php

       Nat Hentoff
       General Ashcroft's Detention Camps
       Time to Call for His Resignation
       September 4 - September 10, 2002

          Jonathan Turley is a professor of constitutional and
       public-interest law at George Washington University Law School in D.C.
       He is also a defense attorney in national security cases and other
       matters, writes for a number of publications, and is often on
       television. He and I occasionally exchange leads on civil liberties
       stories, but I learn much more from him than he does from me.

       For example, a Jonathan Turley column in the national edition of the
       August 14 Los Angeles Times ("Camps for Citizens: Ashcroft's Hellish
       Vision") begins:

       "Attorney General John Ashcroft's announced desire for camps for U.S.
       citizens he deems to be 'enemy combatants' has moved him from merely
       being a political embarrassment to being a constitutional menace."
       Actually, ever since General Ashcroft pushed the U.S. Patriot Act
       through an overwhelmingly supine Congress soon after September 11, he
       has subverted more elements of the Bill of Rights than any attorney
       general in American history.

       [...]