FC: Politech members reply to Rep. Berman on anti-P2P piracy bill

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 20:27:21 PDT

    "Rep. Berman replies to Politech, defends his anti-P2P piracy bill"
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-03949.html

    Text of bill:
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d107:h.r.05211:

    Background:
    http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=berman

    ---

    Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 18:22:50 -0500
    Subject: Re: FC: Rep. Berman replies to Politech, defends his anti-P2P
    piracy bill
    From: Aaron Swartz <meat_private>
    To: declanat_private

    Mr. French lists many things copyright holders cannot do under the bill,
    but no one has ever explained what they can. The bill requires copyright
    holders do not alter any computer file or data. Thus:

      - They can't crack into your computer, because this will alter the data
    in memory and possibly the virtual memory file.
      - They can't spread a virus, because that will alter files on the disk.

    Nor can they cause "economic loss to any person other than affected file
    traders" or "economic loss of more than $50.00 [to] the affected file
    trader". They can't attempt a denial of service attack because:

      - It would cause economic loss to other users of the network or machine.
      - I would lose over $50. (I was going to sell something on eBay.)

    I can't think of anything the copyright holder can do with these tight
    restrictions. What do Berman and Coble have in mind?
    --
    Aaron Swartz [http://www.aaronsw.com] "Curb your consumption," he said.

    ---