FC: New site launches to oppose Rep. Berman's anti-P2P bill

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 06:58:09 PDT

    Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 22:49:32 -0400
    From: Holympusat_private
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: Tell Rep. Berman to Respond to This: www.opposesection514.com

    Declan,

    I am responding on behalf of the people to the slew of bad legislation
    Congress has recently presented, specifically H.R. 5211, the so-called P2P
    Privacy Prevention Act. Since Representative Berman's "Frequently Asked
    Questions about the P2P Piracy Prevention Act" attempts to create
    misimpressions about the bill among the people, I ask that you extend me
    the customary courtesy of the freedom to respond...a freedom that Rep.
    Berman, it seems, would like to see taken away from me.  I welcome all
    discourse on this issue--feel free to show my email address.

    Stephen Conn
    A concerned but well spoken and somewhat knowledgeable kid

    What appears below is an excerpt from my new website,
    www.opposesection514.com.  If you like what you read please give it a look
    and consider emailing your Representative the form letter I provide at the
    bottom of the page.  Thank you very much for your time.

    rep. howard berman maintains a page of frequently asked questions about
    H.R. 5211 on his website. A question and his response appear below:

    "Does the P2P Piracy Prevention Act authorize copyright owners to do
    illegal things that no one else can do?

    H.R. 5211 simply ensures the law treats copyright owners just like other
    property owners by correcting an unfair and unintentional byproduct of
    current law. Satellite companies face no liability when they use electronic
    countermeasures to stop the pirating of their signals and programming.
    Banks face no liability when they repossess automobiles for delinquent loan
    payments. A bicycle owner faces no liability for grabbing his bike from a
    thief’s yard. A victim of a pickpocket faces no liability for tackling
    and taking back his wallet from the pickpocket. Similarly, copyright owners
    should face no liability for stopping the online theft of their copyrighted
    works."

    Representative Berman cites various actions that he feels are analagous to
    those that H.R. 5211 would permit. In each of these analogies, it is clear
    that one party has committed a crime. What Representative Berman has
    apparently forgotten is that H.R. 5211 does not require that a crime be
    committed by a so-called "file trader" for a copyright holder to place
    malicious files on the file trader's computer. The file trader could be
    using his or her files completely within his or her rights of fair use. The
    copyright holder need not present any evidence that his or her copyright
    has been violated. Here is a truly analogous situation: a record store is
    shut down because their placement of CDs around the store could allow a
    criminal to steal a CD, thus violating an artist's copyright.

    Head to www.opposesection514.com now.  Thanks.