FC: Sysadmins reply to Politech to defend Earthlink's anti-spam rules

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 08:38:26 PDT

    From: "Suresh Ramasubramanian" <sureshat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>, <politechat_private>
    Cc: <annaleeat_private>
    Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 17:14:39 +0800

    declanat_private (Declan McCullagh) [Saturday, September 07, 2002 1:11 PM]:

    First: I don't work for Earthlink, or speak for them.  However, I do work
    for a rather large ISP as their postmaster and abuse admin, and have
    interacted extensively with their abuse staffers, several of whom I have the
    highest professional respect for.

    Annalee Newitz <brainsploitationat_private> writes:

     > Hey Declan. Readers may be interested in this story
     > about Earthlink's (lack of) policy related to whose
     > mail servers they block and why. A large subculture

    Lack of?  The word "open relay" sounds perfectly clear to me.

    Please do take a look at http://www.mail-abuse.org/tsi/ to see what an open
    relay means and why administrators block open relays (like the fact that a
    single spammer pumping out spam through an open relay can easily send out
    FAR more mail - all of it junk - than the rest of that server's users send
    out in a week).

    Also, Earthlink issues a much more verbose 5xx error than most.

    550-EarthLink's inbound mail servers do not allow mail from your site.
    550-Please contact your ISP to find out how to send e-mail using a
    550-proper mail server.  If you are an EarthLink customer, and need
    550-assistance configuring your e-mail software, please contact
    550-EarthLink's technical support department at 1-800-EARTHLINK.
    550-Server administrators that feel they are being blocked in error
    550 may send e-mail to OpenRelayat_private for assistance.

     > list in San Francisco was blocked because an obscure
     > security hole in their servers came up as an "open
     > relay" when Earthlink hacked (erm, "scanned") their
     > mail server. Raises some interesting questions about
     > free speech.

    Hm... the wording used in the article Ms. Newitz quoted (and, most likely,
    wrote as well) is

     >> By hacking into his servers (erm, I mean "auditing")
     >> and attempting to relay mail through them

    Is that "auditing" word supposed to be a dig at something in Earthlink's
    background or history? [google google] Ah.  Yes, I think my guess was right.
    Speaking for myself, I believe that discussion of the entity associated with
    the word "auditing" is not really germane to what appears to be an instance
    of earthlink's long standing policy of blocking open relays, so I will not
    get sidetracked by that word.

    Please note that most ISPs around the world block open relays, and in
    several cases, actively search for open relays (that is, if you connect to
    their mailservers to send mail, and maybe that mail also  matches a
    heuristic like say "mail from hotmail.com - but not originating through a
    hotmail.com server")

    If Ms. Newitz will give me the actual IP of the blocked mailserver, I'll be
    happy to verify for her (and the readers of politech) as to whether it is an
    open relay or not.  That will, unfortunately, also have the side effect of
    getting that IP blocked from the ~ 30 million users for whom we serve mail -
    so that might not be an option :)

    So she, or the laughingsquid admin, can try sites like
    http://www.abuse.net/relay.html or just telnet to
    relay-test.mail-abuse.org - these sites are run by people with a long and
    respected history in the fight against spam, fwiw.  A much more
    comprehensive tester script by Ronald F. Guilmette is available at
    http://www.monkeys.com/mrt/

    Finally - yes, I understand why people used to have open relays in the late
    80s and early 90s - where providing an open relay was a courtesy, given
    patchy interconnectivity and routing.  Anyone in the last 4 years who has
    configured a mailserver to be an open relay, given that just about every
    mailserver in the world these days ships CLOSED to third party relay by
    default, might want to get some refresher courses in mail systems
    administration.

         -srs

    ps - Please feel free to publish this on politech if you see fit to do so.

    ---

    declanat_private (Declan McCullagh) [Saturday, September 07, 2002 1:11 PM]:

     > mail servers they block and why. A large subculture
     > list in San Francisco was blocked because an obscure
     > security hole in their servers came up as an "open
     > relay" when Earthlink hacked (erm, "scanned") their

    Hmm... just how squid8.laughingsquid.net's admin managed to configure
    _qmail_ (widely regarded as one of the most secure mailservers on earth)
    into an open relay, I really don't know ...

         -srs