FC: Michigan AG hopes to cut funds from alleged kiddie-porn sites

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 13 2002 - 09:34:31 PDT

    This seems a little suspicious. First, if the sites are really in the
    business of manufacturing and selling child pornography, I'd imagine the
    police in the relevant jurisdictions would be delighted to prosecute.
    Second, while there certainly is child porn out there, I'd be a little
    hesitant to accept prosecutors' claims at face value -- they know that
    because of the strict nature of the law, independent verification is not
    just unlikely, but it could be illegal. Third, why is a state official
    using PR Newswire to send out press releases?

    Also, I'd recommend an excellent article by the always-interesting Steve
    Silberman of Wired magazine. It's subtitled, "Inside Operation Candyman,
    the FBI's crusade to sweep the Net clean of child abuse" and available here:
    http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/10.10/kidporn_pr.html

    http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=CMPTW_inter.story&STORY=/www/story/09-12-2002/0001798903&EDATE=THU+Sep+12+2002,+03:00+PM

    Michigan Attorney General Granholm Cuts Off Money Stream To 104 Suspect
    Child Pornography Websites

         LANSING, Mich., Sept. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- Attorney General Jennifer M.
    Granholm today announced that as a result of a cease and desist order her
    office issued on August 26, 2002 to certain Internet billing companies, 104
    suspected child pornography websites are no longer able to accept credit card
    charges through such companies to peddle their wares.  As a result of this
    action, which is the first of its kind in the nation, the access to these
    websites is essentially cut off for residents of the United States.
         On August 26, 2002, the Attorney General's High Tech Crime Unit issued
    letters to six Internet billing companies including:  "BillCards,"
    "CardBilling," "CCbill," "iBill," "Trust-Bill," and EAN Enterprises, d/b/a
    "LancelotSecurity," ordering them to stop facilitating and promoting suspected
    child porn on 116 websites.  Nearly all of the billers have responded, saying
    they will stop providing billing services to the suspect sites.  Even where no
    response was received from a particular billing company, a further review by
    the Attorney General's High Tech Crime Unit found that the targeted websites
    were no longer accepting charges through the billing company.
         Granholm said:  "Websites that cash in on the exploitation of our children
    have no place on the web.  I am proud to report that because of the hard work
    by our High Tech Crime Unit, we have been able to effectively cut off access
    to these child porn websites to residents of the United States."
         As of early September, 104 of the 116 websites containing suspected child
    pornography are no longer able to accept charges through the previously
    mentioned billing companies.  All of the companies that were sent cease and
    desist orders have either indicated a willingness to comply with the order,
    have severed their relationship with most of the websites, or have indicated
    they have required the websites to provide proof that the models depicted are
    of legal age.
         Granholm said:  "While it is unfortunate that it took this type of action
    to sever the funding from these appalling websites, their compliance is
    definitely a step in the right direction.  But make no mistake about it -- our
    High Tech Crime Unit will continue to monitor these companies, and if they
    decide to exploit children and place profits ahead of the law, we will
    prosecute."
         Granholm noted that because the investigation is ongoing, her office would
    vigilantly monitor the billing companies who received the cease and desist
    letters, as well as other third-party billing companies, to ensure they are
    not facilitating child pornography on the Internet by accepting credit card
    charges on behalf of illicit websites.
         Granholm urges that parents call the Internet Crimes Against Children Task
    Force at 1-877-5CYBER3 [1-877-529-2373] 24-hours a day to report child
    predators or child porn on the Internet.

         (All Attorney General news releases may be found at
    http://www.ag.state.mi.us .