FC: White House draft plan wants new Internet role for Feds

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 16 2002 - 22:40:23 PDT

    I'm going to try to put part of the report online before I leave in
    about five hours for the Internet Law and Policy Forum conference in
    Seattle. (I'm speaking on Wednesday and will be in Seattle through
    Saturday.) See: http://www.ilpf.org/conference2002/

    I don't have a great way to scan in and OCR large documents, so I
    may post efax files and ask for a volunteer to OCR 'em.

    http://news.com.com/2100-1023-958159.html?tag=politech

       White House preps cybersecurity plan
       By Declan McCullagh
       September 16, 2002, 6:58 PM PT

       WASHINGTON--The White House's cyberspace security plan, scheduled to
       be released Wednesday, envisions a broad new role for the federal
       government in maintaining Internet security.

       While couching many concepts as mere suggestions, a draft of the plan
       seen by CNET News.com says the government should improve the security
       of key Internet protocols and spend tens of millions of dollars on
       centers to recognize and respond to "cyber attacks."

       [...]

       It says the executive branch should consult with privacy groups and
       attempt to preserve civil liberties, but concludes that in some cases,
       privacy could be limited. "Allowing completely anonymous
       communications on a wide-scale basis, with no possibility of
       determining the source, could shelter criminal, or even terrorist
       communications," the draft says.

       [...]