FC: "New Democrats" want domestic U.S. counter intelligence agency

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 07:30:26 PDT

    THE NEW DEM DAILY, 09-OCT-02
    Political commentary & analysis from the DLC
    [ New Democrats Online: http://www.ndol.org ]

    Edwards Calls for New Domestic Counter-Intelligence Agency

    Most of the Washingtonians who watched or listened to the
    President's speech on Iraq Monday night probably had some
    difficulty focusing on the threat to our security posed by
    Saddam Hussein when there was a much more immediate threat
    stalking local citizens at random with a high-powered rifle.
    No, there's not any evidence at present that the bizarre
    shootings are linked to any politically motivated terrorist
    activity, but the fear that currently grips this region is
    a reminder that security begins at home.

    It's appropriate, then, that on the same day as the
    President's address on the overseas threat from Baghdad,
    Sen. John Edwards (D-NC) made a speech that reminded
    Americans of the need for an effective homeland security
    apparatus to protect us from terrorist threats, whatever
    their genesis, here at home.

    In particular, Edwards called for the creation of a new
    domestic counter-intelligence agency, similar to Britain's
    MI5, that would take over intelligence gathering about
    terrorist threats here at home from the FBI.  DLC President
    Bruce Reed and Senior Policy Advisor Jose Cerda proposed
    this idea in the July-August 2002 issue of Blueprint
    magazine, dubbing the new agency "3D," for Domestic
    Defense Division.

    Edwards covered a lot of ground in his remarks to the
    Center for Strategic and International Studies, smartly
    criticizing the Administration's "preemption" doctrine;
    supporting military action if necessary to disarm Saddam
    Hussein; and calling on the President and Congress to get
    much more serious about proliferation of weapons of mass
    destruction in places other than Iraq.

    But he also addressed the failure of both the
    Administration and Congress to deal with the country's
    dysfunctional intelligence-gathering capacity.  "A lot of
    good people have put a lot of time into the Department of
    Homeland Security [legislation].  I believe it is valuable
    and ought to pass.  But the most urgent priority for our
    domestic defense today is not moving boxes on an
    organizational chart.  Our most urgent priority is
    stopping the enemy in our midst: identifying the terrorist
    cells within the United States, penetrating them, using
    them to gain more information about the larger network,
    and stopping them before they harm us."

    In Edwards view, the FBI is incapable of competently
    meeting this challenge.  "Why has the FBI failed?  In
    large part because the FBI is a law enforcement agency,
    and it simply doesn't have the right skills, strengths,
    or staff to be a successful intelligence agency....
    Instead of attempting to turn the FBI into something it
    is not, I believe we should establish a new agency that
    is focused on gathering intelligence about terrorist
    threat here at home."

    Edwards, a frequent critic of the Justice Department's
    civil liberties record since 9/11, also suggested that a
    new domestic counter-intelligence agency would be more
    likely than the FBI to avoid abuses.  "With the right
    safeguards, a new agency can do a better job tracking
    terrorists and a better job protecting our freedoms....
    [T]here is no need to abandon our traditions in order to
    protect our national security."

    Moreover, there's no need to make the attention we pay to
    Saddam Hussein detract from the equally critical attention
    we pay to homeland security.  The President said on Monday
    night that Americans "refuse to live in fear."  If that's
    true, then we should demand security at home as well as
    abroad.