FC: Why European "eVAT" tax is unfair to U.S. firms

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 08:08:17 PDT

    Previous Politech messages:

    "E.U. will tax offshore digital sales"
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-03499.html

    "EU to impose VAT on digital goods and software, from WSJ"

    Subject: EU eVAT tax
    To: declanat_private
    From: "Marc Peterson" <mpetersonat_private>
    Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 19:10:06 -0400

    Declan:

    I read your comments regarding the eVAT tax on the internet, and though I'm
    a little late to the party, thought I would share some information that
    doesn't seem to be getting any attention. (I am researching this issue in
    order to publish in a tax journal.)

    In most if not all relevant articles available on the internet, the EU VAT
    is equated with the US sales tax in the various states. This is not the
    case.

    The US concept is that of an "end-user" tax. When a product is sold, tax is
    due. A product's taxability may be deferred by a stream of exemption or
    resale certificates as it moves through the stream of commerce to the end
    user. Thus, Coca-Cola pays no sales tax on corn syrup, but we pay tax on
    the Coke purchased at retail. The end user, or consumer, must pay tax
    unless they have an exemption for end users: charity, government, etc.

    The VAT, or value added tax, is quite distinct. The scheme is designed to
    place the burden of the tax on the cost of adding value to a product or
    service. Tax is due on all products when sold--there are few if any
    exemptions. However, when the European firm completes a VAT return for
    remitting the tax, it is permitted to deduct all VAT taxes paid on its
    purchases. Thus, the resulting remittance constitutes a tax on the value a
    firm added to the goods and services it purchased.

    When we place EU and US firms head-to-head in the European market, the math
    works to the disadvantage of the US firm. Here is an example:

    <file://C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Declan%20McCullagh\My%20Documents\EudoraData\Eudora-Attch\pic00041.pcx>2e539bf.jpg<file://C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Declan%20McCullagh\My%20Documents\EudoraData\Eudora-Attch\pic00041.pcx>
    pic00041.pcx
    [Graphic says for same price of product, an EU firm would owe $100K to
    government, while US firm would owe $220K. --DBM]

    US firms operating in the US are consumers. They must pay sales tax on the
    taxable goods and services they consume. There is no revolving door for US
    firms. Yet, after bearing the burden of the US consumer taxes, the EU now
    wants US firms to collect the VAT without any VAT deduction available to
    European firms or any benefit received from European civil or social
    infrastructure and services. The EU company has a double advantage: no US
    consumer taxes, and a whopping deduction on its VAT return that is not
    available to a US-based company.

    And the Europeans call this a "level" playing field!

    You are correct about this issue having been settled a while back. Maybe
    it's time to refresh their memory.

    Best Regards,

    Marc Peterson

    2e539bf.jpg ------------------------------------------------------------------------- POLITECH -- Declan McCullagh's politics and technology mailing list You may redistribute this message freely if you include this notice. To subscribe to Politech: http://www.politechbot.com/info/subscribe.html This message is archived at http://www.politechbot.com/ Declan McCullagh's photographs are at http://www.mccullagh.org/ ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Like Politech? Make a donation here: http://www.politechbot.com/donate/ Recent CNET News.com articles: http://news.search.com/search?q=declan -------------------------------------------------------------------------