FC: New credit card rules could imperil porn sites, from AVN Online

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sat Oct 12 2002 - 07:46:39 PDT

    From: "Kathee Brewer" <catat_private>
    To: "Declan@Well. Com" <declanat_private>
    Cc: "Tom Hymes" <tomat_private>, "Ken" <kenat_private>
    Subject: "New VISA/MasterCard Regulations Could Forever Change the Adult
    Internet Landscape"
    Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 14:52:16 -0500

    Declan:

    Thought you might be interested in this. It just went up on the site this
    morning.

    Keep up the good work with the list!

    Best,
    Kathee Brewer
    Technology Editor
    AVN Online (not Adult Video News -- we're two different print publications!
    <wink>)

    http://www.avnonline.com/issues/200210/newsarchive/101002_lead.shtml

      Another Turn of the Screw
     >> By Tom Hymes and Kathee Brewer

      New VISA/MasterCard Regulations Could Forever Change the Adult Internet
    Landscape

    Oct. 10, 2002

    LOS ANGELES ­ According to an announcement released last week by three of
    the adult Internet’s larger third-party aggregators - Epoch/Paycom, iBill,
    and CCBill - VISA and MasterCard (V/MC) have established several new
    regulations that have the potential to profoundly change the relationship
    between aggregators and adult Webmasters who do not have their own merchant
    accounts.

    [text omitted.]

      AVN Online spoke with several industry attorneys regarding these
    developments, and received far more ominous assessments from them. This was
    to be expected, not only because of natural professional proclivities or
    because they have been warning for years that the industry was fatally
    vulnerable to regulatory crackdowns, but more importantly because, almost
    to a man, they believe the credit card companies (i.e. V/MC) are in the
    penultimate stage of fulfilling their part of a devilish pact they
    surreptitiously struck with the government in which they immolate the adult
    Internet industry in the United States in exchange for long-desired
    favorable bankruptcy legislation. [New U.S. legislation at the federal
    level restricts bankruptcy filings favorably for credit card companies.]
    This "theory" was first postulated more than three years ago, and now,
    according to Greg Piccionelli, an ardent believer, it is finally happening.

      Piccionelli is an attorney with Los Angeles-based Brull, Piccionelli,
    Sarno, Braun and Vradenburgh. He specializes in patent law, but also has a
    slew of the major adult Internet companies as clients, as well as a long
    history of dealing with entrenched corporate entities like V/MC. He offered
    the following remarks.

    "I knew this was going to happen," he said. "We told a lot of our clients
    that this was going to happen, because we already knew about it." In fact,
    for years Piccionelli has been predicting that this policy crackdown was
    going to happen.

    "In terms of the cover story," he continued, "VISA and MasterCard are
    tightening up their regulations ostensibly to further protect themselves
    from rampant credit card fraud on the Internet. That's what all of this is
    supposed to be about. (Now keep in mind the drama I've been beating for the
    last year, which is this vicarious-and-contributory, aiding-and-abetting
    conspiratorial liability. Keep that in the back of your mind throughout all
    of this.)"

    According to Piccionelli, the seeds of the current situation were planted
    years ago, when the third-party aggregators took on their current role in
    the industry. "The aggregators set themselves up for this day when they
    moved into the position of being the billing entities for the adult online
    industry rather than each merchant having their own merchant relationship
    with a bank," he said. "At that point in time, they [the aggregators] were
    delighted, because they believed that this would once and for all solve the
    [industry's] problems, that they would manage things a lot more
    effectively, because that's all they did. And I remember telling them then
    that it's only a matter of time, because what is happening is that this is
    just making a smaller number of targets, and if and when the day comes that
    they [V/MC] want to bomb the industry, it's going to be a much more
    manageable endeavor.

    "So that was the beginning of the process," he continued, "and the
    aggregators have set themselves up for this day. And now, either the
    federal or state government, or VISA, but somebody ­ and I have a strong
    suspicion, though I'm not going to go out on a limb and say I know, because
    I don't want to get sued - but I have a strong suspicion that somebody has
    gone to these aggregators and said, 'You know, you're liable for what goes
    on, on these sites, and we could nail you right now, but instead you're
    going to help the government clean up the Internet, and this is how you're
    going to do it. We're going to change the rules to require you to acquire
    all this information, and then you're going to get it to us. And we're
    going to give to you a series of criteria to use.'

    "And if the sites don't comply with that criteria," Piccionelli continued,
    "it will be because the criteria is content oriented. In other words, it
    will have something to do with the nature of the content on the sites. Now,
    the government can't do that, because it would be content-based
    restriction, but VISA can as long as they're not doing it on behalf of the
    government. And look how nicely VISA has insulated itself from it; they've
    now gotten the third-party processors to do it. And of course, when the
    processors are finished with this process, they'll go down too.

    "These are the most ominous signs that there have been yet that the war is
    coming," he said, "because reading between the lines, this is what's going
    on: One, the aggregators are going to become the parties that accumulate
    the information that will probably through some means be passed on to the
    government for evaluation for prosecution. If the aggregators say [to a
    Webmaster], 'We're not going to process for you anymore,' they may not even
    give a reason why, because if they do, such as, 'Well, we've been told that
    the kind of material you have on your site could subject you to criminal
    liability, and therefore us to criminal liability,' that would basically be
    an admission that they know that they've been processing for somebody that
    could have criminal liability. So they probably won't say that, but if,
    seemingly for no reason, the third party processors just say, 'We've done
    an evaluation, and we've decided not to take your business anymore,' start
    sweating bullets, because that probably means that that information about
    your site has now been turned over, either directly or indirectly, to
    somebody else."

    The next piece of the Piccionelli puzzle has to do with the new geographic
    restrictions. "The territoriality thing is really a little bit brilliant,"
    he said, "because it takes the argument that if you tighten the noose too
    much in the United States they're just going to go offshore, and turns it
    all on its head; which actually may be the government's intent. I think the
    whole idea is to shut down the adult entertainment business online in the
    United States; actually get it offshore, because then they can say to the
    conservatives, 'Look, we cleaned [the Internet] up to the extent that we
    could, and it will be up to some future Republican administration to come
    up with some sort of treaty,' and they'll just blame it on the Europeans,
    and everyone will just go, 'Well, of course, the Europeans.'"

    To Piccionelli, one big nail in the adult industry's coffin is the fact
    that data is being requested by VISA down to the individual URL. "I think
    this should be a tremendous shot across the bow for the industry," he said,
    "because [typically] you bomb the enemy before you send in troops, and the
    equivalent of that here is that you do an investigation, you acquire all
    the information you need, and then you get indictments. And what we have
    here is that, Website by Website, they're going to know what's going on.
    Now, you have to understand that knowing what's going on Website by Website
    should be immaterial, because if you were going to take a look at the
    recurring billing situation of, say, a gym, would VISA and MasterCard care
    how many chargebacks come from the Westlake Village branch of 24 Hour
    Fitness versus the Van Nuys branch? No, they don't care. They just say it's
    one corporation and want to know what the chargebacks are for the
    corporation. So why would they be interested in chargebacks Website by
    Website? Well, because for criminal prosecutions based on content, it's
    Website by Website."

    But that's not the only motive, according to Piccionelli. "[Another] reason
    why they [VISA] want [to receive data] Website by Website is because then
    they can say, 'New rule: Since the way that these sites acquire the
    customers that generate these chargebacks is through an affiliate program,
    we want to know who the affiliates are that are sending the traffic to that
    site.' Then they will say that if you are a merchant that affiliates with
    one of these people that have been known to send traffic that generates
    high chargebacks, they're going to terminate you. That's the 2003 turn of
    the screw, where all member sites that are in the crosshairs [will be faced
    with] the decision: Are we going to turn over to the IPSP our list of
    affiliates?

    "In fact, I predict it'll go one more step down," continued Piccionelli,
    "and one day one of these IPSPs will knock on the door of one of the
    [sponsors] and say, 'We've been told by VISA that we have to terminate you,
    but they did give us an alternative. If you could clean up your act and try
    to identify where the traffic is coming from that produced the chargebacks,
    they'll give you three months to try and fix the situation.' And of course,
    some of these guys will say, 'No thank you; I've got processing offshore.'
    But others will [give them] the list, and those guys, when they're dealing
    with their IPSPs, will think, 'Great; saved again, thank you very much.'
    They won't know that when the three months elapse and they've given away
    all the information, the map, that they're doomed, along with their affiliates.

    "By the way," added Piccionelli, "you should also notice that the merchants
    will now be called Sponsored Merchants. [What that means] is that if you
    are one of these new IPSPs, VISA can now say to you, 'If you want to stay
    in business you have to do it this way; you have to sponsor the merchant,
    which means that you are going to be responsible for these guys, and we're
    going to hold you accountable.' Now, what if 'hold you accountable' means
    that VISA lets these guys know that there are all these criminal laws out
    there, but 'we're not going to evaluate the sites that you're sponsoring,
    but maybe you should?'

    "Now that you have a nice tight system where you know the affiliates of
    each one of the people who actually have the money," said Piccionelli,
    bringing the scheme full circle, "that's when you start going to the
    affiliates and saying, 'You have this harmful matter and all this obscene
    material on your site. We're going to prosecute you unless you go out of
    business and admit that you've been getting it from this [sponsor] and that
    they knew perfectly well [what was on your site], despite their terms and
    conditions.' After they do five, six, or 10 of these people, now they have
    all they need for a RICO action against the [sponsor], and then they go
    after them. And remember, it has to happen relatively quickly, because
    they've got to get [the Internet] cleaned up for the 2004 election."

    In such a scenario, where an unsupervised para-governmental entity can
    potentially stage-manage the exile of an entire industry, one has to wonder
    why any company would allow itself to be manipulated toward its own
    banishment, not to mention to turn over on members of its own community.
    "Because the affiliate program Webmasters [sponsors] have made so much
    money they'll do anything to stay in business," explained Piccionelli,
    "just like these aggregators will also do anything to stay in business."  ....