FC: Weekly column: I'll miss Rep. Dick Armey

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 11:18:36 PST

    http://news.com.com/2010-1069-963537.html

        Perspective: Privacy advocates lose an ally
        By Declan McCullagh
        October 28, 2002, 10:00 AM PT

        WASHINGTON--I'm going to miss Dick Armey, the crusty Texas Republican
        and House majority leader who is retiring after 17 years in Congress.

        No, I won't miss his repeated attempts to outlaw electronic vice. An
        unapologetic social conservative, Armey voted to restrict online sales
        of alcohol, prohibit Internet gambling and restrict the sale of
        violent videogames to minors.

        Still, Armey emerged as one of the finest champions of privacy in
        Washington, and his departure means that the House leadership will no
        longer include anyone attuned to the perils of electronic snooping.

        As second-in-command in the GOP's congressional leadership, Armey has
        been in a perfect position to block hideous proposals while
        shepherding better ones toward floor votes.

        [...]

        Unlike many of his colleagues, Armey understands a key difference
        between corporate privacy invaders and government ones: Governments
        have far more power and are far more threatening. Don't like a
        company's privacy policy? Shop somewhere else. Just try saying that to
        City Hall or the Internal Revenue Service.

        "The big difference between the private sector and the government is
        that government transactions either are, or are perceived to be,
        mandatory," Armey said. "The private sector never has the ability to
        coerce you into doing something."

        [...]