FC: RIAA replies to Politech over Hilary Rosen and Oxford debate

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 15:29:33 PST

    Subject: Re: FC: Hilary Rosen loses Oxford digital-music debate by 3-1 margin
    To: declanat_private
    From: [deleted per RIAA's request --DBM]
    Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 18:21:43 -0500

    Dear Declan,

    We think readers would be best served by reading an unedited transcript of
    the debate once it's available.  That would be more informative than this
    inaccurate, misleading and one-sided selection of excerpts.  Perhaps this
    is a case of an eager reviewer letting his beliefs overcome his eyes and
    ears.

    The "free music" debate is a vigorous one, and anyone of us could easily
    make a case to our friends and allies.  It's less easy to take that case to
    the places of where disagreement may greet you.  Ms. Rosen works to educate
    many audiences about the issues associated with on-line music and the need
    to develop the legitimate market and simultaneously oppose piracy.  We
    don't shy from a hearty give-and-take and no one believes that the skeptics
    will be convinced overnight.  As Thomas Jefferson wrote, "It takes time to
    persuade men to do even what is for their own good."

    Ms. Rosen went to one the world's most prestigious educational institutions
    to participate in a debate in a classic setting.  At Oxford debate is
    sport.  And this issue was a great one for the students.    This particular
    audience of students deserve credit for offering thought provoking and
    challenging questions.   But in the end, despite the antics,  the
    opposition (Oxford debates have proponenets and opponents) never really
    answered the most basic and fundamental question:  why are they entitled to
    get someone else's labor (free music) for free?  On that question, they and
    indeed the audience, were silent.