FC: SpamCop's Julian Haight replies to Politech, and other defenses

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 21:11:16 PST

    The second time SpamCop incorrectly listed the Politech server, I wrote at
    the time that: "I give the SpamCop folks high marks for responsiveness."
    (http://www.politechbot.com/p-03734.html)

    Not so now. I'm glad to offer Julian Haight the opportunity to reply to the
    list, but his reply is needlessly antagonistic. Julian has declined to
    whitelist the Politech server, saying he'll "perhaps" do it if he feels
    like it. He suggests that I was "paraphrasing" parts of his July message to
    me (about the second blacklisting) that I "want to remember," when in fact
    I copied-and-pasted.

    These are not the actions of someone who wants to work with the Internet
    community. I agree with Ray Everett-Church, who says Julian "seems to
    relish" harming innocent people. I advise Politech readers not to use SpamCop.

    It seems that SpamCop's users weren't even told about SpamCop's new policy
    of blacklisting not actual spammers -- but people at the same Internet
    provider as a suspected spammer:
    http://news.spamcop.net/pipermail/spamcop-list/2002-November/022715.html

    In a column in September (http://news.com.com/2010-1074-957024.html), I
    predicted what will happen as the market for SpamCop and its brethren
    develops: "As spam increases and a reliable blacklist becomes something
    that Internet providers will pay for, the discipline of the free market
    means their quality is likely to improve."

    Part of the discipline of the free market, of course, is that less capable
    firms will vanish as customers turn to more attractive products. I wouldn't
    be surprised if that happens to SpamCop.