FC: Another example of silly news organizations and dirty word filters

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 22:48:46 PST

    The RISKS to this approach to spam-filtering should be obvious. If a
    reporter wishes to subscribe to a mailing list but not have all the
    participants know he or she is there, that anonymity can be violated
    through a dumb dirty word filter that auto-responds. Perhaps we'll see
    anyone worried about a reporter from Tribune Media
    (http://www.tms.tribune.com/aboutus.html) lurking send foul language to a
    list and wait for the autoreplies to arrive. :)

    Previous Politech message:

    "Newspapers filter out 'bad words' from email to their reporters"