FC: Pentagon wants a "Big Brother" supercomputer, from NYT

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 20:59:52 PST

    "U.S. creates (another) surveillance office run by J. Poindexter"

    From: "Danny Yavuzkurt" <ayavuzkat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: Pentagon desires 'Big Brother' supercomputer
    Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 12:12:05 -0500

    Don't know if you've seen this article already, Declan (I assume you have,
    it's a couple of days old), but everyone on Slashdot was talking
    (http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/11/09/2242250) about this article
    at the New York Times
    (http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/09/politics/09COMP.html) that makes CopNet
    look like an Atari 2600.  Who's involved?  Are you not surprised to find out
    it's Vice Admiral John Poindexter, of Iran-Contra infamy (he was Reagan's
    National Security Director, and would've been convicted of felonies, if it
    hadn't been for Reagan's protection..).  Now, combine that with, oh my god,
    he's the director of the IAO (http://www.darpa.mil/iao/, have you ever seen
    a more disturbing logo - or mission statement?).. and you can see why we're
    worried.

    According to the article, the IAO is responsible - no surprise - for
    "developing new surveillance technologies in the wake of the Sept. 11
    attacks," and the supercomputer idea is reportedly being mulled over by
    Rumsfeld, who was seen having lunch with Poindexter.  It's all hush-hush,
    the administration won't comment on it, and civil liberties advocates aren't
    the only ones worried - hell, even the panel the Pentagon hired to review it
    is having second thoughts.  Here's a direct paragraph from the article:
    -----
    "A lot of my colleagues are uncomfortable about this and worry about the
    potential uses that this technology might be put, if not by this
    administration then by a future one," said Barbara Simon, a computer
    scientist who is past president of the Association of Computing Machinery.
    "Once you've got it in place you can't control it."
    -----

    Looks like the people who know the technology, at least, have their heads on
    straight about this.  Too bad the government pinheads and Poindexters think
    technology can solve all our security problems - and that we should go ahead
    and line up to be strip-searched of our rights to 'prevent terrorism'.  So,
    data mining of all Americans' credit card data, cross-referenced with
    traffic violations, Usenet posts, and medical records, will suppsedly detect
    terrorists?  It doesn't take a genius to see that this system will be far
    more useful for creating 'enemies lists' Nixon would have killed for,
    suppressing internal dissent, harrassing law-abiding citizens, and,
    eventually, turning this country into the police state the Pentagon - and,
    apparently, the Bush administration - wants.

    Danny

    ---