FC: Two more replies to Americans with Disabilities Act and the web

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 21:58:10 PST

    Previous Politech messages:

    "Judge rules Americans with Disabilities Act doesn't cover web"
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-04085.html

    "Why Americans with Disabilities Act should not apply to web"

    From: "Edward Hasbrouck" <edwardat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 08:20:08 -0800
    Subject: ADA and the Web (for Politech)

    A close reading of the USA federal district court decision dismissing the
    complaint under the American with Disabilities Act in "Access Now et al.
    v. Southwest Airlines", suggests that its impact may be much narrower than
    some have assumed.  According to the complaint, as linked from your story:

    "Plaintiffs claim that although purchasing tickets at southwest.com is
    'technically possible, plaintiffs found purchasing a ticket to be
    extremely difficult...' (Compl. at 7). Plaintiffs do not argue that they
    are unable to access such goods and services via alternative means such as
    telephone or by visiting a particular airline ticket counter or travel
    agency." (Slip opinion footnote 4, p. 5)  "Plaintiffs are unable to
    demonstrate that Southwest's website impedes their access to a specific,
    physical, concrete space such as a particular airline ticket counter or
    travel agency. [footnote:] Plaintiffs do not argue that Southwest's
    website impedes their access to aircrafts. Having failed to establish a
    nexus between southwest. com and a physical, concrete place of public
    accommodation, Plaintiffs have failed to state a claim upon which relief
    can be granted under Title III of the ADA." (Slip opinion p. 12)

    These facts appear to have been essential to the court's decision in this
    case.  But they would not be true of many otherwise similar Web sites.

    Southwest.com, while not Bobby-approved or compliant with the Web
    Accessibility Initiative guidelines, is more accessible than most airline
    or travel agency Web sites I have reviewed. (It's also, from a privacy
    perspective, extremely unusual in permitting users to complete purchases
    without registering and without accepting cookies.)   Most other major
    airlines would *not* be able to argue, as Southwest did (and as the
    plaintiffs conceded), that it was possible at all for a blind person to
    complete a ticket purchase on their Web site with a screen reader.

    Equally importantly, the complaint would appear to have concerned an
    attempt to purchase a ticket at a fare also available offline.  The
    plaintiffs apparently chose to concede that the same services were
    available offline, through accessible channels, at the same prices -- even
    though a large and growing percentage of the ticket prices on
    Southwest.com are Web-exclusive prices available only from the Web site.

    (In this respect Southwest would actually make a good test case.  Some
    airlines' Web fares are also available through Orbitz.com and sometimes
    other travel agencies, creating the possibility that they might be
    available through some channel more accessible than the airline's own Web
    site.  But Southwest doesn't participate in Orbitz.com, and its Web fares
    are available *only* on its own Web site.)

    It's odd that the plaintiffs chose for their test case Southwest, an
    airline with a Web site difficult for blind people to access, rather than
    an airline with a Web site completely inaccessible to blind people who
    rely on screen readers.  It's equally odd that thye chose a ticket also
    available from accessible offline sources such as the airline's call
    centers and tickets counters, rather than a ticket at a "Web fare" *only*
    from the airline's inaccessible Web site.

    Whatever their reasons, the court clearly distinguished these other
    situations, and left open the possibility that in either of these other
    cases it might have found the the ADA to be applicable. That's especially
    important since airlines were among the first businesses, and remain
    leaders, in offering "Web only" prices that are specifically promoted as
    *not* being available through any alternate channel.  It remains likely, I
    think, that the accessibility of airline and/or Internet-only travel
    agency Web sites, as applied to Web-only prices, will be the key test of
    the applicability of the ADA to the design of e-commerce Web sites.--------
    --------
    Edward Hasbrouck
    <edwardat_private>
    <http://hasbrouck.org>

    "The Practical Nomad Guide to the Online Travel Marketplace"
    <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1566912504/edwardhasbro>
    "The Practical Nomad: How to Travel Around the World"
    <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1566912148/edwardhasbro>

    ---