FC: New Zealander replies to use of photo radar near Wellington

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 22:02:45 PST

    "Photo radar update: Colorado Supreme Court upholds ruling"

    Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 15:01:10 +1300
    From: Brian Boutel <brianat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: Re: FC: Photo radar update: Colorado Supreme Court upholds ruling

    Declan,

    You published the claims of Richard Diamond, in particular, that

     > 3. New Zealand: A speed camera issues tens of thousands of speeding
     > tickets, yet the accident rate is up 30 percent. 5/11

    I assume that Mr Diamond opposes traffic cameras on principle, and is
    looking for evidence to damn them. His headline gives an impression of
    causality, or at least ineffectiveness in reducing accidents.
    I think some revelant facts should be provided to counter this.

    The report quoted is about a single segment of SH1, the main highway
    connecting Wellington with the North. It is short piece of road only 2.5km
    long, a steep descent from the hills surrounding Wellington Harbour down to
    sea-level. It's a particularly nasty stretch, steep and curving, with
    intersections with local roads, where local and long distance traffic mix
    because it is the only practicable route, and where the Motorway (limited
    access) rules which apply to the highway at each end of the Gorge are
    suspended. While the cameras are there primarily to enforce a reduced speed
    limit (down from 100km/h to 80), most of the accidents, as the report
    indicates, are minor, low-speed events. It is a busy commuter route,
    nose-to-tail in the mornings - typical circumstances for minor rear-enders.

    These accident numbers just cannot be used to represent the effect of the
    nation-wide speed camera programmme, which has been operating since 1993.
    In fact, accident numbers are falling in NZ. In the 5 years from 1997 to
    2001, for example, road deaths fell by 16%.

    --
    Brian Boutel
    Wellington New Zealand