FC: Why Judge Jackson, Larry Lessig were wrong on software integration

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 12:14:18 PST

    http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/delivery.cfm/SSRN_ID268508_code010430130.pdf?abstractid=268508

    An Antitrust Rule for Software Integration
    J. GREGORY SIDAK
    American Enterprise Institute (AEI) - General
    Yale Journal on Regulation, Vol. 18, No. 1, 2001

    Abstract:
    What is the proper legal standard for product integration involving
    software? Because software is subject to low marginal costs, network
    effects, and rapid technological innovation, the Supreme Court's existing
    antitrust rules on tying arrangements, which evolved from industries not
    possessing such characteristics, are inappropriate. In this Article, I ask
    why firms integrate software products. Next, I review the Supreme Court's
    tying decisions in Jefferson Parish and Eastman Kodak. I propose an
    approach to judging the lawfulness of product integration in
    technologically dynamic markets that supplements the Supreme Court's
    current standard with four additional steps in cases of tying of computer
    software. Thereafter, I examine the D.C. Circuit's approach to software
    integration, which arose from that court's 1998 interpretation, in
    Microsoft II, of an antitrust consent decree between the U.S. Department of
    Justice and Microsoft Corporation. I argue that the D.C. Circuit's rule has
    general applicability and should be recognized as the appropriate standard
    for software integration under antitrust law. I show how my approach
    imparts greater clarity to the D.C. Circuit's rule. I examine the competing
    product integration rule proposed in 2000 by Professor Lawrence Lessig as
    amicus curiae in the government's subsequent antitrust case against
    Microsoft, concerning the integration of Internet Explorer and Windows 98.
    My approach enables Professor Lessig's analysis to be reconciled with the
    D.C. Circuit's rule, but Professor Lessig's rule, on its own, would contain
    serious shortcomings. Thereafter, I evaluate Judge Thomas Penfield
    Jackson's April 2000 findings of law on the integration of Internet
    Explorer and Windows 98. I conclude that Judge Jackson's approach, in
    contrast to the D.C. Circuit's rule as refined by my approach, would harm
    consumers in the technologically dynamic market for computer software.