FC: Nigerian newspaper's excuse for mob riots: "The computer did it!"

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2002 - 13:18:34 PST

    More coverage:
    http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/africa/11/22/nigeria.missworld/index.html

    ---

    Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 12:51:08 -0800 (PST)
    From: herror <blackmarketsat_private>
    Subject: not so smart mobs
    To: doctorowat_private, declanat_private

    Cory, Declan,

          The Miss World Riots- "smart" mob inspired?
          Stupid, murderous mobs can use tech too.
          From http://allafrica.com/stories/200211220347.html

    >Ironically, the blasphemous story published against the prophet has
    >tended to unite the nation's muslims who have not only been unanimous
    >in their condemnation of the story, but have also been sending
    >solidarity text messages on their GSM phones to alert one another on
    >the blasphemy since last Sunday.
    >
    >AbdulHameed Daramola, a Lagos Muslim told Weekly Trust that he alone
    >alerted over seventy Muslims across the country about the blasphemy
    >through text messages on his GSM since last Sunday when he became aware
    >of the issue.

          Also check out the groveling apoplogy from the Newspaper that
    "blasphemed".  They're using "the computer did it" defense in their
    desperation.  http://www.thisdayonline.com/news/20021122rec01.html

    >The supervising editor made an attempt to remove the offensive portion
    >during the editing process. But we must say that this time, technology
    >failed us, and gravely too
    >
    >...We have learnt that we cannot always rely on technology, and that we
    >have to do more to improve our processes so we can continue to pursue
    >the path of truth and reason. Ours is a public trust. We do not, and
    >will not take our responsibility for granted.
    >
    >May the Almighty Allah, the God of infinite wisdom, continue to guide
    >us aright. Ma-Assalam, and Ramadan Kareem.

                               best,
                               tom brennan phila pa
                               http://agendabender.blogspot.com/

    =====