FC: Spam king lives large off others' email troubles

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 20:18:18 PST

    [This is really somewhat vile. --Declan]

    ---

    From: "Thomas Leavitt" <thomasleavittat_private>
    To: "Declan McCullagh" <declanat_private>
    Subject: Fw: More on the Spam Kings
    Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 14:43:16 -0800

    http://www.freep.com/money/tech/mwend22_20021122.htm

    ... I think that the fight really needs to be taken to the companies that
    sell through spam, it is pretty clear it will never be won by simple
    technical means.

    ... the last bit about the "stealth spam" technology is pretty laughable; I
    find it hard to understand how a "tech" reporter could be ignorant enough of
    basic Internet architecture to swallow the idea that somehow, a spammer
    could shove stuff onto your computer (short of a massive OS security flaw,
    etc.).

    ... more likely, he's talking about some kind of rather prosaic adware...

    Regards,
    Thomas Leavitt