FC: Forged press release on Bhopal from "Dow Chemical Corporation"

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 03:50:21 PST

    From: "Thomas Leavitt" <thomasleavittat_private>
    To: "Declan McCullagh" <declanat_private>
    Subject: Fw: DOW ADDRESSES BHOPAL OUTRAGE, EXPLAINS POSITION
    Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 03:03:20 -0800

    Check this out (full headers) - what a stunt. Dow's PR people must be in a
    tizzy!

    ;
    Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 02:43:04 -0500
    To: "thomasleavitt-myrealbox.com" <thomasleavittat_private>
    From: Dow Chemical Corporation <press@dow-chemical.com>
    Sender: dow41-proxypress@dow-chemical.com

    December 3, 2002
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
         Contact: mailto:press@dow-chemical.com

    DOW ADDRESSES BHOPAL OUTRAGE, EXPLAINS POSITION
    Company responds to activist concerns with concrete action points

    disaster's legacy, Dow Chemical (http://www.dow-chemical.com) has
    issued a statement explaining why it is unable to more actively
    address the problem.

    "We are being portrayed as a heartless giant which doesn't care about
    the 20,000 lives lost due to Bhopal over the years," said Dow
    President and CEO Michael D. Parker. "But this just isn't true. Many
    individuals within Dow feel tremendous sorrow about the Bhopal
    disaster, and many individuals within Dow would like the corporation
    to admit its responsibility, so that the public can then decide on the
    best course of action, as is appropriate in any democracy.

    "Unfortunately, we have responsibilities to our shareholders and our
    industry colleagues that make action on Bhopal impossible. And being
    clear about this has been a very big step."

    On December 3, 1984, Union Carbide--now part of Dow--accidentally
    killed 5,000 residents of Bhopal, India, when its pesticide plant
    sprung a leak.  It abandoned the plant without cleaning it up, and
    since then, an estimated 15,000 more people have died from
    complications, most resulting from chemicals released into the
    groundwater.

    Although legal investigations have consistently pinpointed Union
    Carbide as culprit, both Union Carbide and Dow have had to publicly
    deny these findings. After the accident, Union Carbide compensated
    victims' families between US$300 and US$500 per victim.

    "We understand the anger and hurt," said Dow Spokesperson Bob Questra.
    "But Dow does not and cannot acknowledge responsibility. If we did,
    not only would we be required to expend many billions of dollars on
    cleanup and compensation--much worse, the public could then point to
    Dow as a precedent in other big cases. 'They took responsibility; why
    can't you?' Amoco, BP, Shell, and Exxon all have ongoing problems that
    would just get much worse. We are unable to set this precedent for
    ourselves and the industry, much as we would like to see the issue
    resolved in a humane and satisfying way."

    Shareholders reacted to the Dow statement with enthusiasm. "I'm happy
    that Dow is being clear about its aims," said Panaline Boneril, who
    owns 10,000 shares, "because Bhopal is a recurrent problem that's
    clogging our value chain and ultimately keeping the share price from
    expressing its full potential. Although a real solution is not
    immediately possible because of Dow's commitments to the larger
    industry issues, there is new hope in management's exceptional new
    clarity on the matter."

    "It's a slow process," said Questra. "We must learn bit by bit to meet
    this challenge head-on. For now, this means acknowledging that much as
    it pains us, our prime responsibilities are to the people who own Dow
    shares, and to the industry as a whole. We simply cannot do anything
    at this moment for the people of Bhopal."

    Dow Chemical is a chemical products and services company devoted to
    bringing its customers a wide range of chemicals. It furnishes
    solutions for the agriculture, electronics, manufacturing, and oil and
    gas industries, including well-known products like Styrofoam, DDT, and
    Agent Orange, as well as lesser-known brands like Inspire, Retain,
    Eliminator, Quash, and Woodstalk. For more on the Bhopal catastrophe,
    please visit Dow at http://www.dow-chemical.com/.

                                  # 30 #

        To no longer receive mail from Dow, please write
        mailto:offlist@dow-chemical.com?subject=thomasleavittat_private