FC: US News' Dana Hawkins on DNA "biorepositories"

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 17:29:11 PST

    Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 19:17:08 -0500
    To: declanat_private
    From: dana hawkins <dhawkinsat_private>
    Subject: DNA banks

    Hi declan. Here's something that may be of interest to politech readers...

    Ever leave your coffee cup in the cafeteria, lick an envelope, or toss out
    chewing gum?

    If so, your DNA sample might be analyzed and stored somewhere. it's part of
    a quietly growing new phenomenon: poorly regulated "biorepositories."
    Already there's talk of a national DNA databank which would dramatically
    aid genetic research and crime investigations.

    Here's the link to my inside coverstory in issue dated Dec. 2nd: "As DNA
    banks multiply, who's guarding the safe?"
    http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/021202/misc/2dnabanks.htm
    and the news you can use sidebar: "Sample questions"
    http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/021202/misc/2dnabanks.b.htm

    For more of my articles on the ethical, social and legal issues surrounding
    technology, go to:
    http://www.usnews.com/usnews/nycu/tech/teprivacy.htm

    Best,
    Dana Hawkins