FC: Free registration for Politech members to South by Southwest

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 06:25:04 PST

    Hugh Forrest of the South by Southwest Interactive Festival -- one of the
    industry's most interesting conferences -- has graciously agreed to give
    free registration to the first three Politech subscribers who contact him
    at hughat_private The conference URL is:
    http://www.sxsw.com/interactive/

    That's perhaps a $500 value, according to the conference's registration page.

    (Hugh had asked me for permission to use my photo of author Bruce Sterling
    -- http://www.mccullagh.org/image/d30-22/bruce-sterling.html -- to use on
    the cover of the conference brochure. Bruce is speaking at the event. I
    agreed to it in exchange for three tickets to Politech subscribers. I know
    that a bunch of you are students or recently unemployed and might have
    trouble paying for the conference admission. Please, if you can afford the
    conference fee, let someone who can't afford it take advantage of this
    arrangement.)

    Thanks to Hugh for doing this -- Scientific American made a similar offer
    for Politech subscribers earlier this year
    (http://www.politechbot.com/p-03193.html) and it turned out well.

    Naturally you'll still have to get to Austin in March and find a place to
    stay on your own. If you're not one of the first three people to email
    Hugh, you can still sign up here for an early-registration discount:
    https://secure.sxsw.com/forms/registration/start.php

    Remember, please do not respond to this message. I have nothing to do with
    the event. Email Hugh at hughat_private