FC: Three events: Oxford University, Stanford University, and DC

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 08:26:44 PST

    From: "Christian Ahlert" <christian.ahlert@socio-legal-studies.oxford.ac.uk>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: POLITICS OF CODE CONFERENCE at OXFORD
    Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 15:19:43 -0000

    Dear Declan:

    I am a long time reader of your wonderful list and wonder now if you'd
    be willing to post the following announcement re a conference we are
    organizing at Oxford on the "Politics of Code".

    Best
    Ch

    POLITICS OF CODE - CONFERENCE AT OXFORD UNIVERSITY

    The Programme in Comparative Media Law and Policy is convening the
    Conference "Politics of Code - Shaping the Future of the Next Internet"
    to be held in Oxford on February 6th 2003.

    The Internet is at a crossroads and critical choices will be made about
    the Internet's architecture that will shape the Internet for years to
    come. PCMLP is therefore convening a conference in Oxford to not only
    identify what those critical choices are, but to discuss in an
    innovative cross-disciplinary set-up of practitioners and academics how
    we can shape the future of the next Internet.

    High profile speakers - among them Prof. Larry Lessig, renowned thinker
    on Cyberlaw and Esther Dyson, celebrated digerati and founding chairman
    of ICANN - will discuss the key choices that need to be made on privacy,
    security, access, openness and control in the design of Internet
    technology and Internet Governance.

    Currently numerous initiatives are under way, that sound cryptic to the
    average user, challenge policymakers and cannot be left to software
    engineers alone. Developments such as IPv6, digital rights management
    systems, and digital identity and authentication technologies - to name
    a few - have the potential to transform the global network, while the
    implications of these developments are poorly understood.

    Against this context it is the main goal of the conference to increase
    our understanding of the interdependence between technology and use on
    the Net to subsequently develop governance processes that are able to
    foster technical innovation and take political values into account. We
    aim therefore not only to identify, monitor and discuss what those
    critical choices are, but also how we can improve the governance of the
    Internet.

    To register and find more information please go to our website,
    http://pcmlp.socleg.ox.ac.uk/code/

    Christian Ahlert
    Programme in Comparative Media Law and Policy
    Oxford University
    Tel: +44 (0)1865-284 247

    ---