FC: Tim May on the worrisome trend toward "signing away rights"

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sat Dec 14 2002 - 10:45:01 PST

    ----- Forwarded message from Tim May -----

    From: Tim May
    Subject: The trend toward "signing away rights"
    To: cypherpunks
    Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 20:24:13 -0800

    I'm watching a New York television news show reporting on one of the
    recent cases where people sign away their rights. This is about
    requests sent out by schools that parents of students sign a pledge
    that alcohol, loud parties, and late night activities will not be
    permitted at their homes and that schools and local police will be
    permitted to inspect the houses without warrants for violations. The
    news report says that most parents have signed the pledge. So, what of
    parents who don't? What of parents who send back the note with a "FUCK
    YOU!" message? Probable cause? The kid faces hassles in the state-run
    school?

    (Voluntarism is not the issue, as there is no voluntariness involved
    when a state-financed, state-run school, working with the police, sends
    out such notices.)

    For several weeks I have seen television shows--usually on the NBC
    fascist network, but sometimes on ABC--where it is assumed that "9/11
    changed everything," that the Fourth Amendment no longer applies, that
    the 5th and 6th Amendments no longer are what they were. (The First is
    not mentioned, I expect because even television liberal whores know
    this is important to them. The Second is treated as having been defunct
    since Colonial times, with only criminals having guns.)

    Last night had a plot device on "The Practice" (a generally bad
    show...I ought to stop watching) where nearly all residents in an
    upscale burbclave had signed a pledge--reminiscent of my opening
    point--where owners of cars would invite the police to stop their cars
    and search them without a warrant of any kind, without even today's lax
    probable cause. Obedient citizen-units would place a bumper sticker on
    their vehicles giving up their Fourth Amendment expectations of being
    secure in their papers and possessions. Those who didn't have the
    bumper sticker, well, there are a _lot_ of cops out there with nothing
    better to do between donut breaks than to stop cars without stickers
    for "suspicious reasons."

    (I wonder what would happen if a bumper sticker said "I support the
    Fourth Amendment. Just in case you don't, I have a gun.")

    --Tim May
    "They played all kinds of games, kept the House in session all night,
    and it was a very complicated bill. Maybe a handful of staffers
    actually read it, but the bill definitely was not available to members
    before the vote." --Rep. Ron Paul, TX, on how few Congresscritters saw
    the USA-PATRIOT Bill before voting overwhelmingly to impose a police
    state

    ----- End forwarded message -----