FC: Weekly column: Ways to Poindexter-proof personal information

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 16 2002 - 08:45:31 PST

    http://news.com.com/2010-1069-977908.html

        Perspective: Tech's answer to Big Brother
        By Declan McCullagh
        December 16, 2002, 4:00 AM PT

        WASHINGTON--Why is everyone so surprised that the U.S. government
        wants to create a Total Information Awareness database with details
        about everything you do?

        This is an unsurprising result of having so much information about our
        lives archived on the computers of our credit card companies, our
        banks, our health insurance companies and government agencies.

        Now a Defense Department agency is devising a way to link these
        different systems together to create a kind of digital alter ego of
        each of us. After the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, this proposed
        centralization was inevitable--and it's only going to get worse.

        Blame retired Admiral John Poindexter, national security adviser for
        former President Ronald Reagan, who returned to the Pentagon in
        February to run a creepy new agency that's trying to create this
        mammoth surveillance and information-analysis system. It's called
        Total Information Awareness, and it's funded by the Defense Advanced
        Research Projects Agency (DARPA).

        Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's a good idea, or that it's
        consistent with the traditional American values of limited government
        and a sharp demarcation between the private and the public sector. I'm
        not even sure if Poindexter's brainchild could ever work.

        What I am saying is that if our personal information--some of it
        extraordinarily sensitive--is archived in corporate or government
        databases and protected only by the weak shield of the law, it's
        vulnerable to federal snoops.

        [...]

        Technology offers a better way to preserve our rights against
        government overreaching. New crises may prompt Congress to vote
        unanimously to skewer the Bill of Rights. But technological
        protections don't vary with the whims of politicians or shifts in
        Supreme Court majorities.

        The sad thing is that for years we've known about technology that can
        slow down this mass "databasification" of American society. We just
        haven't used it.

        [...]