FC: Peter Wayner replies on Poindexter-proofing databases

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sat Dec 21 2002 - 23:48:19 PST

    To: declanat_private
    From: Peter Wayner <pcwat_private>
    Subject: letter to politech or news or whomever
    Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 09:27:11 -0500

    Declan--

    Thanks for writing about _Translucent Databases_ in your column.
    It's a honor to be discussed in one of best places where politics
    and technology meet at an equal level. I've already gotten several
    nice letters filled with ideas so thanks to your readers.

    I think your piece was spot on, but it was only half the story. Technology
    _can_ help curb big brother surveillance by cloaking our movements
    with mathematics. Businesses that want to protect their customers
    privacy will want to look at solutions like you described. The field
    of cryptography is big and filled with mathematical puzzle boxes
    to fit many needs. I hope proactive businesses will follow your lead
    and start looking at the possibilities.

    Unfortunately, I think that many won't because defending privacy
    is often portrayed as protecting shifty-eyed strangers who are just
    one step away from terrorism. This is really the wrong approach.
    Privacy and security go hand in hand. Protecting people's data helps
    protect them.

    Consider my favorite example from a book: a website that helps parents
    find babysitters by keeping a central schedule. Parents looking for
    a sitter can go to a website and find out who is free on Friday with
    one click and no phone tag. This sounds like a very useful service,
    but it's fraught with danger because this database contains the
    schedule of babysitters _and_ parents who won't be home. It would
    be terrible if a database was abused by hackers, insiders, or both.
    In this case, a translucent database can help the parents without
    keeping personal information.

    There are many examples like this when privacy and security go hand
    in hand. I've always felt that the book, _Translucent Databases_,
    will find more of an audience in the intelligence community than
    the world of privacy defenders and cypherpunks. The intelligence
    community just has more sensitive data to guard from prying eyes
    both within and without the fold. If the FBI was infiltrated by a
    Russian spy and the Pentagon was penetrated by a Cuban spy, perhaps
    we have to worry about a terrorist sneaking into the TIA databases.
    The cypherpunks always get these things first, but I'm hoping that
    their enthusiasm won't scare away the people who cleave to the aegis
    of government.

    There are also practical reasons why businesses may want to choose
    such a solution. Subpoenas are also a tax on people who keep good
    records. The shipping companies like FedEx have entire divisions
    devoted to answering calls from law enforcement and the courts. It's
    not just spies defending the realm either-- divorce lawyers love
    to poke around for evidence. A business that keeps the records must
    also spend the costs to answer questions.

    Thanks again for writing about the topic. I wanted to highlight these
    aspects of the debate in case anyone was actually thinking about
    making technology like this illegal. The math is always neutral and,
    in this case, it can serve both the interests of the radical libertarians
    and the folks who want to build good, secure government systems.

    --Peter

    For info about the book:

    http://www.wayner.org/books/td/