FC: John Gilmore advocates vigilantism against Poindexter, TIA?

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sat Dec 21 2002 - 21:52:16 PST

    "SF Weekly columnist suggests surveilling John Poindexter at home"

    Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 19:12:16 -0600
    To: declanat_private
    From: Mickey Chandler <micklcat_private>
    Subject: John Gilmore advocates vigilantism?

    I guess I missed this when it was originally sent to Politech on 2 Dec
    because I sympathize with John Gilmore's stand on the dangerousness of TIA,
    but the following quote from the C|Net story you filed yesterday just
    screamed at me: "Even if some of the information that people end up
    revealing or using about such targeted scumbags is incorrect, such a public
    demonstration would highlight the damaging effects that incorrect database
    information can have on innocent peoples' lives, when used to target them
    for harassment without due process of law."

    It seems to me that John's argument when it came to his open mail relay was
    that the ends do not justify the means. Yet here he argues that the ends do
    justify the means, even with the knowledge going in that innocent people
    could get hurt. The main differences between the two scenarios that I can
    see is that the "damaging effects" and "harassment" are not aimed at anyone
    named "John Gilmore" and that "the damaging effects that incorrect database
    information can have on innocent peoples' lives" when used in the manner
    that Mr. Gilmore is advocating here (for harassment) are potentially far
    more damaging than forcing him to use UUCP for email (since he refused to
    secure his open relay).

    We don't need to engage in such an action in order to find the problems.
    There are already examples of the damage that could be caused if you only
    look at the effects of the "Megan's Laws" on innocent people. For instance,
    this story (http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,53075,00.html), makes
    reference to a mentally handicapped man who was beat up in Dallas, Texas,
    because he lived at the address where a sex offender had lived at some
    point in the past (the offender had not updated his location information
    after moving).

    The examples of the dangers of such things as TIA are already there for
    John if he would only be willing to investigate, without the need to create
    more of them because he feels it to be educational, newsworthy, or
    entertaining (cf. his comments in http://www.politechbot.com/p-04206.html)
    to encourage people to engage in vigilantism.

    --
    Mickey Chandler
    micklcat_private

    "USA Today has come out with a new survey: Apparently three out of four people
    make up 75 percent of the population."
          David Letterman.